Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 as frontend

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulwood

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2001
GB
I know this is an 'old chestnut', but I have been trying to add an ODBC connector for MySQL frpm mysql.com. It downloaded and installed correctly, but when I came to configure it, the dialogue looked different from the picture on mysql.com help page. I figured it had just changed and made a best guess of what went in which text box.

Thing is, whenever I try to test the connection, I get an error message;

[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Access denied for user: 'dbusername@my fixed ip address' (Using password:YES)

I am assuming it got through to the MySQL database and was denied access because it had my fixed ip address attached, rather than say, localhost? Is it a config problem or have I missed something?

Yes, if you get the message, "access denied for user", then you communicated with MySQL. It's just that MySQL didn't like what you had to say.

Remember that MySQL user credentials are not just a 2-tuple of "username" and "password", but a 3-tuple of "username", "password" and "ip address from which the user is connecting".

The error you got means that at least one of the 3-tuple isn't acceptible to MySQL. The most likely culprits are the password or the IP from which you can connect.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Thanks for rapid reply. :)

So if this was the backend on a website, most likely all external access at this level is blocked even though the database can be accessed via phpMyAdmin on the site? I know my ip is not blocked specifically, but is there any way of finding out other than contacting the hosting company (who have the worst support I know, but are very cheap), because I don't expect them to actually reply!

Access to the database should be blocked from the public. Your address doesn't need to be specifically blocked; it needs to be specifically permitted in order to have access.

I think your only option is to contact the hoster, and I highly doubt that they'll open it up.

Thanks, I guessed that was the most likely scenario, worth a try though. Would save having to login to make sure the db for my footy message board was still intact, and seemed like a cool thing to try.

Anyone know a program to view a downloaded sql backup file rather than having to access the live database?

You could install a MySQL server on your own machine, along with one of the GUI frontends also available from the MySQL site. You might first like to check the version number of the website's MySQL server, and get the same version for your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back