Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access 200 & access 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsilveira

MIS
Feb 7, 2005
CA
Hi,

I originally designed a VBA application using access 2000, however, I have now upgraded to access 2003. But not every user has upgraded to 2003, thus it would seem anyone who is using 2000, can no longer use the application, all using the 2003 there is no problem. Anyone have ideas as to why this is happening?

Thank you in advance,
jsilveira

jsilveira,

With Access 2003 you can open, amend and save Access 2000 .mdb's without having to first convert them to Access 2003 format, infact the default format for all newly created .mdb's under Access 2003 is initially set by Microsoft to the Access 2000 format. So by default any newly created applications will be usable by Access 2000 owners. It sounds as if you have upgraded to Access 2003 and also converted your application to Access 2002/2003 format, thus rendering it inaccessible for Access 2000 users.

Hi,

I verified the file format and it does say Access 2000. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
jsilveira

jsilveira,

Can you expand a little? What exactly is happenning when existing Access 2000 users try to open the application? Or if they receive and error while using the application, what is the error message and what code is being run when the error is raised?

What is your setup? Have you split the database and each user has the Front End on their desktop?

Is it consistent that all 2000 users cannot open database and all 2003 users can?

As cascot asked above - what error message are users seeing and when are they seeing it.

What else can you tell us about circumstances?

Hi all,

My current setup us is as follows:
Front end (gui and queries - on client's pc) and back end( all the tables - on a server), using linked tables

It seems all 2003 users can open the program no problem, however, those who have 2000, are experiencing some problems. I did run some tests on a 2000 machine and I didn't find any problems, thus it would conclude me to think it may be the installation of access on their pc, is this possible?

There are no error messages that occur. Simply when the users click on the front end, nothing happens, the splash screen pops up and nothing else is done.

I have even tried to relink the tables without any luck.

thanks again,
jsilveira

When you say 'tried to relink the table without any luck' do you mean you could not relink or that relinking was successful but problem still remained?

Have you tried 1. compact and repair from toolbar, 2. decompile of vb code (search these fora), and 3. importing all objects into a new database. All of the above may resolve any corruption issues.

If you open the code window (in design view) and go to 'tools' and then 'references' on the 2000 machines do you see any references marked as 'missing'

If you have error checking in vb code can you comment out the 'On error ---' line. Maybe some piece of code is failing silently and not displaying an error message. For example you might have an "on error resume next" - which is must moving on to the next line of code on error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back