Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accesing my PBX from outside the company. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

garanu

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2002
US
Hi,

I was wondering if you guys can help me with this issue, I would like to know if there is a way to access my PBX from outside the company to get line and make long distance phone calls charged to the company.
Because of the work a few of my users need to make long distance phone calls from outside the company,and because once I have hear that in other enterprises the employees call to certain number in their company and automatically get line to make the long distance phone call, I was wondering if I,m in possibility of give that service and how I can give it.

I have a Nortel Meridian opcion 11c.

Thanks in advance for all your asistance.

Hello
if i read you right what you need to set up is DISA this gives you dialtone back when you dial in
but it is not recommended as it is a great way for hackers to gain access to your switch you need to be very careful about doing what you propose

Colin

Agreed. Allowing this does, indeed, open you're company to toll fraud-- and they'll probably hold you responsible since you're the PBX administrator. DISA is one way to accomplish what you want but you can also do it through the outdialing feature of Meridian Mail.

Agreed....big mistake to do this. If you have a long distance carrier, then you can get Calling Cards. I would be that if you set this up, you will get hacked and YOU will be out looking for a new job.

Too risky. Calling cards can be obtained for anyone in your company and they can have their own numbers so you can set up easy accounting.

Then again, if your boss instructs to do it... just make sure you keep the e-mail :) I don't know much about the DISA feature but using the outcalling capabilities of Meridian Mail will allow you to set up a table of specific external numbers that the system is allowed to dial. If someone tries to dial a number that is not permitted, they'll get reorder. If this feature is enabled, you'll have to keep a close watch on it. Run daily outcalling reports to make sure to only numbers going out are ones from the list.

Hi,
The details of programming DISA:
LD 24
CUST 0
DN 666
SCOD 1234
AUTR NO
TGAR 0
NCOS 4
COS TLD
RANR NONE
DGTS NONE

With the NCOS value you can restrict it to any number(s) you want (just like phonesets).

regs,
@win

You should also consider using authorization codes as another firewall once the users access the DISA feature. The users will be prompted for the authorization codes (see LD 88) and if valid, they'll have system access. A word of caution, make sure the codes are at least 6 to 8 digits long, preferably 8 and as the administrator, insure the codes are erased once an employee either looses the code or leaves the company. While this may be a hassle to the users, it is better than forking over $50,000 for a weekend hack which has happened too many times to unsusspecting companies. Good luck.

HOW WOULD I FIND OUT IF THIS DISA IS SETUP ALREADY ON MY SWITCH. i JUST TOOK OVER THIS MERIDIAN 1 SYSTEM AND I WANT TO DISABLED IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back