Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acces VBA - DLookup() - Remove Prompt Enter Parameter Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorbjar

Programmer
Mar 1, 2012
BE
Dear all,

I seem to have an issue with a piece of VBA code in acces.

Extrapolated from the larger code, I've got the snippet below.

Code:
fileDirectory = "GC_Annexes"
temp = "[DirectoryName] = '" & fileDirectory & "'"
counter = DLookup("[CounterValue]", "tblCounter", temp)

The problem now is that when I run this code I get a prompt wich says 'GC_Annexes' and below it is a textbox.
Once I type GC_Annexes in the box the code is continued flawlessly. I would like to be able to skip the part where I have to type in the box.
Can anyone help here?

Thanks!!!

have you tried

temp = "[DirectoryName]=" & fileDirectory

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

That one gives the error:

Run-time error '2471':

The expression you entered as a query parameter produced
this error:
'GC_Annexes'

temp = "[DirectoryName]='" & fileDirectory & "'" gives me the same box as mentioned before

then this should work
DLookup("[CounterValue]", "tblCounter", "[DirectoryName]='" & fileDirectory & "'")

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

Still getting the Message Prompt

Title: Enter Parameter Value
Text: 'GC_Annexes'
Textbox

And this ?
Code:
temp = "[DirectoryName]=""" & fileDirectory & """"

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

fileDirectory = "GC_Annexes"

im assuming "GC_Annexes" is the value in the table to check and not a controlname?

Yes GC_Annexes is the value of DirectoryName Field of which I need to get value which is stored in the CounterValue field

I've been starting to think it might have something to do wit the references, but I'd think that the whole DLookup function would be blocked then.

@PHV
temp = "[DirectoryName]=""" & fileDirectory & """" - still asks me for input

Back track to the beginning and try

DLookup("[CounterValue]", "tblCounter", "[DirectoryName] = 'GC_Annexes'")

which should work. there are 2 ways to deal with a string and Dlookup one is to use single quotes around the string - the prefered method by most or you can use double quotes in which case it would be written

DLookup("[CounterValue]", "tblCounter", "[DirectoryName] = ""GC_Annexes""")

You can also type

?DLookup("[CounterValue]", "tblCounter") without the parameter values in the intermediate window and press enter to trouble shoot the function

Also what data types have you declared temp & fileDirectory as?

the problem is that
DLookup("[CounterValue]", "tblCounter", "[DirectoryName] = 'GC_Annexes'") ALSO gives me the prompt

Dim fileDirectory As String
Dim temp As String
Dim counter As Integer

try changing the name of counter it is a reserved word in access

changed it to counter1...

I can't seem to figure it out....
Starting to think of a dirty solution.
Putting the tblCounter in a different db and using something like

Code:
Set ws = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
Set dbs = ws.OpenDatabase("...\counterdb.mdb")
Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM tblCounter WHERE Directoryname = '" & fileDirectory & "'")
counter1 = rst!CounterValue

It's not pretty, but it might do the job

what happens if you type it into the intermediate window in the vbe

?DLookup("[CounterValue]", "tblCounter") ' Should return the first value in the table

and yes that may work but there is an issue with your Access because I have simulated the table and run the code successfully just to give myself pc of mind

That drew a blanc...

BUT!!!
Reading that you succeeded made me attempt it on a different pc (my own). I created a new db and imported all table and form data. (I did this so I wouldn't copy any incorrect settings).
The code seemed to work, then I copied the db back to the original pc and it failed yet again.

I decided to reïnstall acces and now everything seems to be in order... No more weird prompts!!! :-D

Thanks a lot for your help!
Couldn't have done it without you.

cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back