Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

acces - network

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaustin

Programmer
May 24, 2004
GB
Hi,

I will be starting a project later this year and I am considering the idea of having the database on a server, then other users have a front end on client machines

I know that access is a relational model, and not network, so does this stop me from doing this

Also, can just a front end be designed in access forms, that llok to the server for relvanat info

If so, is it just too much work, and should I learn php/mySQL.

I been wanting to learn it for a while, would be a good excuse to. Is it extremely complicated, can I teach myself

Does anyone have any tutoral site??
Cheers

Tom:)

Access works fine on a network, especially if it's split as you describe (front end on local machine, back end on network drive). I've got about a dozen different databases installed on our network without much difficulty.

You can design the database without splitting it, then use the database splitter built into access, or you can just design it that way from the beginning - your choice. If you're just beginning, you may find it easier to keep it all together, then split it when you're further along in the design.

I think you can teach yourself Access (I did, although I don't claim to know everything).

Hi, thanks

I think I'll keep it together for now.
I have only completed one project(which im quite proud of)

Now, I have some questions:

I am designing a system to view a timetable. It needs multi-level access. I know you can do it, because I just have been. Jst messing about really.
Anyway, Do I design the system as if it were to be used by an administrator, then add restrictions

These are the restrictions:
Admin: Can view/input/change/everything basically

User: Can view/input(cannot change after it has been inputted)Therefore, any changes need to be dome through an admin

Also, Im wondering how to restriuct the user from changing a record once it has been entered. Someone suggested th eonCurrent event

Could you explaoin this more please??

Cheers

Tom:)

Hi Tom,
There are advantages and disadvantages to splitting the datbase. Some of the advantages:

1. Reduces the amount of network bandwidth needed to operate the database system.
2. Each user gets to customize the look and feel of their copy of the GUI. It gets saved to their local PC.
3. When it comes time to edit the code you wont have to take the database off-line to make your changes.

Some disadvantages:

1. Decentralizes the database programming code.
2. Requires the developer to make changes to the code on EVERY machine that uses the GUI.

Suggestion:
If you are going to split the database away from the GUI(I recommend this for the advantages mentioned above) Make a MASTER copy of the GUI. Any time you need to replace a users copy or if you need to deploy a new version it will come from the master copy and can be copied to the target machines. You can develope the GUI on your development machine then when its debugged deploy it to the users.

If you implement Access User-Level Security, you can assign permissions to different users or groups.

You can allow a group or user to enter data, but not edit it.

Make sure to read the security FAQ, and don't skip any steps.

Go ahead and design it without security, then run the User Level Security Wizard.

I know that access is a relational model, and not network, so does this stop me from doing this

The Network Database Model had nothing to do with networks - at least not in the everyday sense. It was a formatted model which allowed you to construct networks of entities rather than just trees (heirarchies) which were common in databases at the time. The model was essentially COBOL Codasyl and the principal implementation was IDMS from Cullinane. It is now supported by CA.

The relational model fully supports networks because you can join fields from any entity (table) to any other entity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back