Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acces Denied!

Status
Not open for further replies.

juruk

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
US
I have evaluation version of windows 2003 and build fresh domain. I did not install DHCP server since I have linksys router and in the forwarders I have placed the dns numbers from my isp. On each client I add the ip address of my serves as primary dns and left everything else blank. All clients are getting ip from the linksys router and I am able to log in the domain fine an also to get on internet. I have created user and granted enterprise administrator, domain administrator and administrator rights. When this user is logged on a domain from the client and tries to access folder on the server he gets access denied message. Since he has all the admin rights why is he getting this error? What I am doing wrong?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Juruk

Just because someone has admin rights does NOT mean that they have access to files and folders. You need to check the permissions ont he share and on the folder and ensure that the administrators group has rights to it.

Check the folder at the server. If you can't access it you will need to take ownership of the folder and then you will be able to assign security permissions to the admin group.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Check the share permissions. I think you will find the permission are read-only for Everyone. This blocks the access. Set to full and then use the security permission to limit users access.

Thank you for both of you on the fast reply;

It makes sense to me but I was thinking that I don’t have to set the permissions on the folder and subfolders, since the user has the highest admin rights. I am sure that it will work with your suggestions but I was thinking that I can skip that part.

markdmac
When you say to take ownership; with the top admin rights I should be able to take ownership right?…I am asking because it happened to me in the past where the ownership part was grayed out.

Thanks,
Juruk
P.S. I'll let you know about the results in a day because i hd to leave from the problem location.

Juruk, yes if you are an Administrator you should be able to take ownership of the files.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks a lot for the help. it worked fine so i am all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back