Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accepting new job with undersirable salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtr33

Instructor
Aug 24, 2006
US
Today, I just accepted a new job as a software trainer. I have 30 years business experience in communications, education, and sales.

I have no experience as a software trainer but have taught as a business teacher, written training scripts, and have managed a medical outpatient cardiology clinic.

I accepted a base salary of 38K. I regret doing that since I believe fervently that is too low a salary for my experience.

Can I call the company tomorrow and ask for a higher salary or should I wait a few months and ask for a raise.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

The key word is that you "accepted" the offer. That means you accepted the salary that was offered. That doesn't mean you can't bring it up, it's just that negotiating compensation is usually done before you accept an offer, not after.

I would say don't bring it up, but do bring it up in a few months when you've proven that you're worth more. You should have developed some form of relationship with your boss by then, so bringing it up should be easier than trying to discuss it with someone you hardly know.

MTR,

A technique that I have found effective whenever negotiating compensation package is that I never accept a first salary offer (unless it wildly exceeds my salary expectations) without a "counter" that goes like this:

"Your salary offer, by itself, is below my industrial/profession value, but salary is typically only part of the total compensation package. I can justify accepting a lower-than-market salary if there are other compensation components that make it a worthwhile package such as: bonus-earnings opportunities, profit sharing, stock options, sebaticals, auto allowances, after-hours consulting engagements, housing allowances, quarterly salary reviews, et cetera (note: choose the components that you predict are most applicable to the subject position). Which of these opportunities can the organisation offer to me to bring the total compensation package up to a level that would justify my accepting the position?"

Your leverage, however, typically exists while negotiating your terms of service prior to accepting their offer. Once you have accepted the offer, you must work your tail off during the first 90 days, then go to your manager at the end of that period and say:

"My performance during this first 90-day period represents an excellent cost-benefit ratio to the company. I would like to schedule a time that we can meet to discuss ways that the company can enhance my compensation package to bring it more in line with my industrial value and with total compensation packages of others in my position."

Let us know your thoughts.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

I am with Dave on this one. You accepted the offer and are now at a disadvantaged negotiating position. Once you have been there long enough to prove your value -- and this probably means prove it not only to your boss but your boss' supervisor and peers -- you have leverage again.

At this point if you like the company you should say something along the lines of "I really like it here, but I have been getting a lot of feelers from the job market as a result of my resume being widely circulated X # of months ago, and it is clear from this activity that my compensation is way below the market. What can we do to fix this?".

This will come off as very non-theatening and hopefully push things in the direction you want them to go.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
" - unknown

Dave is spot on. Honestly, were I you, I would actually contemplate instead not starting to work. If you wait months to bring this up, you will be starting from a position of being unhappy with the overall conditions, and I think that is bad. I think it is flawed to "wait" as well, because it will provide too many opportunities for them to say, "Well... you still need to improve here or there, and we're not willing to pay you more...." It does sound very low, and experience in that particular field is not what will make or break you, I believe.

Seriously, I would consider declining to start. If they want to know why, tell them that you accepted the offer out of interest and excitement for the role, but after further thought, you are not happy with the compensation package, and that it would be in both your best interests not to proceed. Then if they open the offer up to a new round of negotiation, use the "Santa" method above if the specific $$$s are not something they can move significantly on.

If they are unwilling to move, they are not likely to increase it in a few months anyway... in which case you save yourself and them the unpleasentness of not dealing with the issue immediatly, instead of accepting something that is less than you are willing to do.

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

I too agree with SantaMufasa in that you've accepted the offer. You have already made a committment to them. Now it's time to fulfull your committment, and at the end of the probationary period, negotiate a new contract.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I still maintain that that is a flawed position, and you are only prolonging the inevitable... it will be bad for both parties to continue under this premise.

Best Regards,
Scott

TheManiac,

I have to disagree.

Look at this from Management's point of view. The company has probably advertised for the position and gone through several interviews. After having a candidate accept their offer, they have ceased the interview-hiring process.

Now, before even starting work, the applicant demands more money.

Likely opinions of a manager about the applicant (hereafter referred to as "TA") in this situation:

Either[ul]
[li]TA is trying to bribe us thinking that TA has us "over a barrel" since we have already stopped the interviewing process and have (likely) already told other candidates that they were not selected for the position.[/li][/ul]
Or
[ul]
[li]TA is "wishy-washy" - cannot make a decision[/li]
[/ul]

Whatever else Management might conclude, it is likely that everyone involved in the hiring process will come to one conclusion unanimously:
[ul]
[li]TA is going to be a very demanding, very difficult employee - do we really want to deal with managing TA? Is it too late to rescind the offer?[/li]
[/ul]

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

At my company someone who accepts and then declines would not only have the offer rescinded, they would then be marked as someone to never consider hiring for any other position.

This type of thing will ruin you in the marketplace in the long run (as people from differnent companies do talk to each other) although occasionally it might work. You will get a reputation as someone who cannot be trusted to honor his ro her commitments. Most good companies to work for do not want to hire an unethical employee. This tactic would put you squarely in that catagory in their minds.

Further from a self-interest perspective, if you have already quit your existing job, tactics like this can mean that you will lose the offer and your existing job might refuse to take you back leaving you with no job. This is a very risky maneuver.

SantaMustafa is right in what he is telling you to do.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to help with Hurricane Relief

mtr,
The only way you could decline would be if you indeed will *not* work there, and flat out tell them you've found something else. You can't in any way use this as a negotiation trick, for reasons mentioned by others above.

This would be your option if you feel that, as TheManiac implied, you would be marking-time these months, and not giving your fullest. That's bad for both of you. If this salary will really bother you and you can't wait a few months, then you have to cut your losses and go somewhere else right now.

It may be a 'grey' spot in whatever circle this company's hr people move in, but it is better than actually attempting a 13th hour negotiation.
--Jim

Does anyone know what the base salary would be for an inexperienced medical software trainer with a masters degree in communications and 30 years of business experience including communications, teaching, and medical experience?

Thanks.

$51,831.15.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

It would vary wildly depending on the area you live in. Around here, I don't know any trainers at all that make over $40K no matter how much experience they have because they can hire retired Military to do this.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to help with Hurricane Relief

mtr33 said:
Does anyone know what the base salary would be for....
You might want to google compare salary. There are tons of calculators and websites to help you figure what you can expect in different geographic locations.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

This is a very interesting thread, and I've already saved Mufasa's written counter offer for future use! ;) Thanks man.

I have to say from someone who was in a similar position as yours that I would avoid the 'wait and see' mentality here. I'd say it's much better to be honest with the company now and have them restart the interview process then tell them in X months time after investing more time/training/money in you to then have to start the whole process again.

As much as you may feel that you don't wish to leave them in the lurch now, to not even start is much better then to leave in the short term (for them). And for you, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a black mark against your name unless its a recruiting firm, and yes don't expect to every work with them again, but it's a big world and they are unlikely to hold a grudge against you to the point of bad mouthing you to other companies! So as long as in your immediate job hunting you avoid all contact with them (or any subsidiary companies) then you'll be fine.

It's a free market and you basically have the right to quit whenever you want. In the end of the day you need to what is best for you and yours.

A,

"If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Agree 100% with StuckInTheMiddle. Don't be avoidant. It will ultimatly hurt both of you more in the long term, than a little pain now in the short term. This is not so different from breaking up before the wedding, even if the invitations have already gone out. (To use an analogy). :)

Best Regards,
Scott

Another company has offered me a job with a base of 48K but starting at 42K until I know the software.

How do I negotiate this offer? Why can't I just start at 48K? Is this the usual way medical software trainers start?

Thanks for any information.

Don't negotiate positionally (you do this, I'll give that). Negotiate on the mertis... what do you have to offer? What are they expecting will be different once you "Know the software"? How long do they expect this transition. Explain that 48k is right on the money, and you feel that you have more to offer of benifit, even if it's not the "thing" they are looking for, you may be able to counter balance that with your skills in other areas, providing benifits that will be mutually benificial that they have not considered.
Also, on the merit that since 48k is what you are looking for, it will motivate you to deliver...

Best Regards,
Scott

mtr33,

Welcome to Tek-Tips!

However, your current question (and one other one) is in the wrong forum.

There IS a great forum herein for your question, and I hope you'll get the answer you're looking for.

Good luck!
Tim

[blue]_______________________________________________________
"As a former farmer, I try to grow the best formers around."
[/blue]

They had already asked for a salary requirement, which I emailed 42-46K, just to get the interview. Then they said we'll start you at a base of 48K when you know the software..can take up to 6 weeks...we can start you with what you emailed us 42-46K which is what we are supposedly going to negotiate on tomorrow. Also, these companies just throw the software manual at you and expect you to digest and train other companies. They offer no training per se.

I would like to start negotiating from 50K.

Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back