Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accepting multiple connections on the same interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorenzodv

Programmer
Feb 16, 2001
IT
I successfully set up a VPN server with Windows XP SP1 built-in RAS and RRAS services. What I want now is to let multiple clients (up to three/four) to connect to my VPN server.

The strange thing is that, when there is already a user connected, all other clients won't connect and are presented with error 937 "The server is not accepting any more connection of this type". On the VPN server I reserved 256 addresses for VPN clients and I know XP Pro can hold 10 connections at one time: why it would not accept 3 incoming VPN connections?

In the case this is a XP limitation and there's no way to fix it, can you suggest some 3rd-party software providing VPN server for multiple clients?

Thanks in advance.

The info I can find says:

The Windows XP Professional remote access server capabilities are very similar to those available in Windows 2000 Professional. A Windows XP computer can accept a single incoming connection on each interface that can accept a connection. For example, a Windows XP machine can accept incoming connections on each of the following interfaces:
[ul][li]Dial-up modem serial interface
[li]Infrared interface
[li]Parallel port interface
[li]VPN interface [/ul]
While it’s unlikely, a Windows XP Professional machine with the above configuration could conceivably accept up to four simultaneous RAS connections. However, the typical configuration consists of a single RAS client connection, either through a dial-up modem interface or a VPN interface.

I think you need .NET Server or Win2K Server to accomplish what you want.

Too bad... I can't installa 2k or .NET server on my home workstation. Looks like a shame to me: XP is such a good system and this limitation has no reason to exist.

Ok, never mind. Do you know of a third-party software that can accomplish multiple incoming connections of the same type?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back