Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

accepting mail forwardings

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispar

IS-IT--Management
Aug 17, 2002
CH
Not too hot on sendmail....

If a domainA has setup a forwarding of ALL mails
addressed to @domainA to goto @mydomain.com

What do I need to do to accept them, where do these
mails go until I setup what I need to do....

This has been done without my knowledge, and I don't get
any mails addressed to me.

me@domainA.com is forward to mydomain.com does this also
mean I need a user on mydomain.com called "me"

Any help in understanding this

Chris

First, you need to own your own domain to get mail at yourdomain.com. If you do, then you need to setup a dns "A" record for your mail server. All this does is point a name such as mail.yourdomain.com to your ip address. Then you need to create an "MX" record. This just says that mail.yourdomain.com handles the mail for yourdomain.com This is done through your registrar where you bought your domain name or whoever has control of your dns records. If you own your own domain, I don't know how anybody could forward your mail without you knowing about it. However, getting to your question. If you have all this setup and sendmail is running on your server, then mail should be coming in to it. However, if sendmail isn't configured to accept mail forwarded to your domain, it will more than likely bounce. Look in /var/spool/mail/username, where username is user on your system.

First of all Thx to RhythmAce,

Ok status is: account is up and running with mydomain.com
working a treat..... accepting mailing .. DNS, MX... tick.

Do I have to become the owner of the domain, another.domain.com.... currently there are 25 forwards
to mydomain.com, and I have to call the ISP everytime
I need another forward alias, so now I want to just ask
them to forward the whole domain, only I don't know what I have to do to accept these.... OR of course will it just work..

fred@theredomain.com --> fred.mail@mydomain.com

This is working !!!!

What do I need to do to get this direct... and control the
forwards...

Please help... I am going mad..

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back