Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accelar 1200 DHCP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFSRJSTW

Technical User
Jan 2, 2004
US
I have dug out and am attempting to use an Accelar 1200 that we used to have in service a few years ago. It is running SW Release 2.0.7.0. It is configuered with 1 VLan wich includes all the ports on cards 1 and 2 (card 1 = 10/100 Fiber ports, Card 2 10/100 RJ45 ports). It is connected to our network via a fiber jumper plugged into port 1/1 with the machines I'm cloning plugged into ports on card 2. I am attempting to clone computers using Altiris Deployment Server which the machines connect through using Intel's PXE boot agent when they first are turned on. The server is in another location connected to a BPS 2000 with a fiber up link to our Passport 8600. The machines plugged into the Accelar give a message saying "No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received". As soon as I move them off the Accelar, it works fine, so I'm sure the problem is in the configuration of the Accelar, but I can't find what it is. Once the machines are in windows however, they do have a valid IP address, so the DHCP information is being passed correctly, but what ever the PXE server is adding to the DHCP packets don't seem to be passing correctly. Does any one have any ideas? Thanks!

Assuming your DHCP server is not in the subnet or vlan that the 1200 serves, you can forward DHCP broadcasts to the DHCP server in the Java Device Manager. that has been stable for some time and works well in 2.0.7.0

you tell it in the VLAN setup to do DHCP then give detail globally in IP Routing
The agent addr is the addr of the 1200 in this VLAN
the server addr is the DHCP server

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

The DHCP Server is in the same subet on the large scale (including the main core, which is the 8600). No different subnets have been setup on the 1200 in my office. That experiment is to come later on. Do I still have to do the DHCP Broadcast forwarding? Basically the 1200 is in my office, connected to the rest of the network by the fiber jumper. I'm sort of using it as basically a overpowered switch with a fiber connection. (Sort of a waste, I know, but I wanted to use it for testing some stuff.)

Darn, it sure sounded like the DHCP Broadcasts were stopped by being in a small VLAN, if the server is on the same VLAN I have no idea.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I may have confused the issue. The DHCP Server is sitting on a single VLan (The only VLan) on the 8610. The 1200 is conncted via a fiber connection to that single VLan on the 8610. There is a single VLan configuered on the 1200. To that Vlan is the ports of the machines that I am trying to clone using PXE. Do I need to configuer something so that they 2 VLan's talk to each other also?

If the IP addresses that you use are all in the same range, make it one VLAN. If they are in different ranges you need to set up routing between the 2 VLAN's, and set up DHCP forwarding as described above.

Hope this is helpful..

I setup DHCP forwarding on the 1200 as described above, but still am having no luck. Would I have to configuer anything on the Passport 8610 which my fiber connection to the 1200 is coming from? Or would I need to figuer something on the 1200 so that it knows that the 8610 is providing it's fiber uplink? The 8610 has one vlan containing all the ports. One of those fiber ports is what is providing my uplink to the 1200. The 1200 has one vlan on it.

Have you turned on fast discovery for Spanning tree. I had a problem on a passport 8100 with that exact problem. The inital discovery process took too long and DHCP would time out.

Where do I configuer fast Spanning tree? Do I have to do that on the 8600, the 1200, or both? Thanks for the help.

it would be on the 1200 since thats where the ports are coming online. If you are using Device manager, click on the port go to STG tab and set FastStart to TRUE.

Setting up fast discovery for spanning tree and defining the DHCP server worked. Thanks for everyone who helped me with my problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back