Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accelar 1200 CPU Utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaVTX

MIS
May 17, 2005
US
Hello,
I have a problem 1200 out of 7. The network load has not increased but CPU utilization is running high. Avgeraging 30% and hitting 100% for seconds at a time throughout the day. And the really odd thing is that is users dont complain until around 3pm when they say it gets almost unusable???

Recently I broke up a VLAN that spanned 3 building and broke it down to each floor in each building. I would assume that even though there are more VLANs that it would decrease broadcasts and lower CPU load not increase it...

Any insight or things I can check?

Thanks!

In same problems I use sniffer soft for diagnosing problem.

Known problem on 1200's with cpu utilization.
What rev code r u running ?
We would reboot the 1200's in off hours(bi-weekly);seemed to help.
We replaced all our 1200's with a 8610 because of EOL issues.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

the 1200's work great in a flat network, 2 vlans have been ok for me but anything more and I had cpu issues.

We had this when Natchi and Blaster were doing the rounds, although they didn't generate much traffic, the CPU went through the roof (due to arps etc).
Check your ports to see if anything is flooding the 1200 with crap.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

NetManRick

Hey Rick, I am running 2.0.7.4 code...

can you confirm this issue is related to this code?

I have sniffed the network off this 1200 in question and I dont see anything out of the norm. We are also monitoring it with an snmp app that records packets and cpu util and other then the cpu... again nothing really happening.

I am also assured from my system engineers that we are not experiencing any virus activity...

Thanks all!
Jason

Configure a trace module 9 level 3 for starters. If that does not show enough, a level 4.

You can extend it to module 15 to see the ip packets.

But perform it using the cli. And if the problem also exist in non-production hours, perform those commands at that periode. It can be risky, certainly with the 1x00 series.

A

OmegaVTX:

It's a problem on that rev too.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

We ended up offloading the layer 3 routing to Passport 1600's while letting the 1200's do the layer 2 distribution, even with multiple VLANs, they're more stable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back