Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accelar 1100-b Routing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom1Boom

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
GB
Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me. I recently bought a Accelar 1100-b routing switch. This is so I can subnet our work network. Before I do this I have tried to configure a smaller test network. I have tried to configure the following configuration.
Port 3/1 has a IP of 192.168.2.1 subnet 255.255.255.192
Port 3/2 has a IP of 192.168.2.65 subnet 255.255.255.192
Port 3/3 has a IP of 192.168.2.129 Subnet 255.255.255.192
Port 3/4 has a IP of 192.168.2.193 subnet 255.255.255.192

I have the server conected to Port 3/4 with an Ip address of 192.168.2.251 subnet 255.255.255.192 and various clients attacted to the other ports with corrosponding ip's to match the subnet there in. I have set the default gateway of all the client machines and the server to be the IP address of the port they are connected to. I can successfully Ping all the machines from any of the client machines set up including the server. So far so good. However the clients set up on different ports/subnets from the server cannot be authenticated by the server to log them onto the domain. Is this a routing issue. Is there some routing protocol that I need to configure on the 1100? I understand that if this was a cisco router I would configure the ports to have a secondary IP address on all the ports to be that of the server however this dosn't seem posible on the Accelar 1100 (unless I'm being stupid, which I suppose is quite possible). Could someone please try and point me in the correct direction as I seem to be going around in circles. Thank you very much in advance.

Are you using Novell for authentication? The 1100-b supports IPX cfg, the first release (I am not sure if it was -a) did not.

Can you authenticate to the server from a client machine in the same subnet as the server?

Hello, Thank you for replying
I do not use Novell for authentication, I'm afraid I'm using a Windows 2000 server with Windows 98 clients.
I can however authenticate a client machine on the same subnet as the server. So I think the problem seems to be routing between the various ports on the router. Am I doing something fundemently wrong?

I see that you are using CIDR subnetting for your segments. The subnet breaks are correct. Are you using RIP? If so, I would verify that you are using RIP V2. If you are using V1, the subnet mask will not be included in the RIP table. This would explain why you can authenticate locally to your server (there would be no need to route because the packet's source/destination addresses are local to one another.)

Hope this helps

Hi Boom,
Have u make the IP FORWARDING ENABLE ON THE routing ports and enable globaaly Rip.In this u have to use RIPV2

Hitender (BE.CCNA)
Best Of luck
Try & Try Till U succedd and update others on u r achievments

hit_singh@rediffmail.com

Hi

I suspect that the authentication process involves a broadcast, and the broadcasts will not be passed by the routing elements of your Accelar.

You may need a helper setting up on each subnet to pass the authentication request to the server as a unicast. Also I would need the help of a fluent Microsoft speaker.

EB

This is a standard problem. For Windows communication, you use NetBIOS. By default over NetBEUI, which is a not routable protocol. But NetBIOS over IP I also think is default. The problem is that it uses broadcast, and broadcast's is not forwarded betwen routing interfaces by default. To solve this problem:
- Enable NetBIOS forwarding between the interfaces
or
- Create a WINS server, define the server on the base, and define the IP address of the WINS server on the clients
or
- Make local host files on the clients

I hope this helps!

Regards Goran

Thanks for all your help guys! My network is now working correctly. I enabled RIP and then added the servers name and IP in the clients LMHosts file and that has done the trick. Once again, thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back