Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acceesing cisco 2507 series through the console port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

baria

Technical User
Feb 17, 2002
US
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a used cisco-2507 series and I am having a problem from accessing the router through the console port. I am not getting a prompt from the router, though the terminal shows connected .

The following is what I have tried so far.

Hyperterminal through com1(9600/8/1/hardware)
Router connected to my PC thru the Manager cable to serial interface of my PC(DB9). Can some help me what is wrong here. could it be from the router? I have no documantions.

I had a customer with a similar problem once. Turned out to be the router, we had to replace it. Hopefully not the same problem your having! Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Sometimes as a security risk, some people try different speeds on the console ports. You may want to try different speeds. If you start getting @ symbols, that will be your indication that you are getting close on the speed.

Are you using Win NT to Access the router?

Thanks guys for your Tips. I am using Windows 2000 Pro, XP and Me. I mean I tried it from different Boxes with different OS and didn't work. I have set up my Terminal to different speeds and no luck. When I start the router after starting my terminal I got garbled on my terminal. I thought this could be speed mismatch b/n PC and the router and tried different speeds...I think the router is ?????.

Have you tried setting the emulation type to ansi or vt-100
instead of auto-detect ? I sometimes find I get lots of problems with hyperterminal so use procomm+ or netterm (which is shareware if the internet) Have a go? Good luck

Flow control in hyperterminal should be set to 'none.' but hyperterm in win2k has had probs.

Hi.
Your settings should be:
Bits per second set to 38400 or below
Data bits set to 8
Parity set to None
Stop bits set to 1
Flow control set to None

One other thing (and I hope it's not insulting your intelligence): Once Hyperterm says you're connected, hit your ENTER key two or three times. This will bring up the router prompt. ------------
Certified in absolutely nothing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back