Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AC97 Codec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repairs

Technical User
Feb 20, 2001
US
Anyone have any problems with the built in AC97 standards as far as scrathy and poor sound quality.... Any fixes?

i have got built in ac97 sound on my mobo its an epox8kta3+ it works ok but is not upto the demands of multimedia applications.
i very quickly installed a creative labs gold card disabled ac97 in the bios.

hope this helps

AC97 is fairly nasty (but then again, I'm an audio engineer in my spare time!). Disable it and replace with Creative or Turtle Beach, as brendanhedges has done!

For general game playing, it's ish - but you should manage to get non scratchy sound using 22 or 44.1KHz stereo.

Check the wiring on your speakers - replace the cable (if you can!). If different speakers/speaker cables don't solve the scratchiness, it could be the connector on the mobo.

Which mobo are you running?

Good Luck!

Heh - disable that sucker and replace with a SBLive Value, they're about $49 and well worth it for the difference in sound quality and processor usage.

At the time of the post, the "all in One" type machine is what we are shipping all over the USA. We have fixed it when the manufacturer of the MB finally offered updated drivers --- AND---- setting up error correction in the windows "media Player".

Yes in my 1gig Tbird system, I have and Aureal sq2500.......

What I need is some answers (laymans) on the standard itself vs the way WinME trys to shut down the CPU when Idle and the standard wanting to keep the cpu running

Ac97 codec's have some wdm win conflicts....
they are not fully used by directx unless you manual select it at directx multimedia properties. Otherwise Win will use the primary sound driver.
I suggest the update for the crystal 200 ac97 codec

hope it helps :)

Hey, never thought of that will try --- Tnks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back