Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AC "Y" Splitter Power Cable Causes Big Problems With BCM450

Status
Not open for further replies.

snd1234

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2006
US
Just wanted to make an informational post about a problem I had been experiencing. About 3 months ago I embarked on an extensive rewiring and reorganization of my wiring closet.

I replaced two interactive UPSes with one Online UPS. I added a DSM32+ for capacity and cleaned up my power cable wiring as well.

I also have an expansion cabinet above my BCM450. So I decided to let them share a Y cable instead of a dedicated AC cable for each chassis.

A few days later I got a panicked call the phones weren't working. Alarms were as follows:

50064 The Media Path Management sub-system unexpectedly became offline - terminating
54005 Mrs:: Shutting down due to MPS communication failure
53005 Mgs:: Shutting down due to MPS communication failure
43011 Lost connectivity to the switch
52004 **ERROR** FUMP channel not ready;MPS service aborted

The result was we could make inside and outside calls but every other service (Autoattendant, voicemail, VOIP trunks, etc) wouldn't function until the unit was rebooted.

After replacing the UPS I still got the errors. I was on r6 and latest patches so there wasn't much to do there. I removed the DSM32 I added but the FUMP/MPS errors kept coming back.

Three weeks ago I was about to give up and replace the power supplies. I was getting behind the system to see how to do it when I noticed the Y cable I had used to clean up wiring. I decided to replace that instead.

Three weeks later no more errors. Before I removed the Y cables I was getting the FUMP errors about once every 4-7 days. So I'm ready to say that was the fault.

Just FYI as the problem was very tricky to resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back