Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AC-97 sound card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

we2aresame

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
CA
I have a AC-97 sound card intergrated with motherboard. There are 3 jacks on the card, from the icon beside the jack, 1 jack for mic, the another 2 for speakers. my problem is , there is only one jack can send singal to speakers, the another one cannot, why?

The other is nor for speakers but AUX, to send to an amplifier. If they are colored, use the green one.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

There should be one jack for the speakers. It's a stereo jack that splits out to both speakers (or goes to one and another wire comes out of that speaker to the other one). The speakers have one stereo plug. The other jack is a line in jack for recording. At least that's the way my sound card works.

Jim

Re the three sockets 'jacks' on your sound card

You need to get a stereo mini jack lead to connect to your single stereo "speaker output" socket. The lead should split into whatever your speaker socket or sockets take -- like rca plugs. This "speaker output" socket has been annoyingly wrongly termed as a speaker output because that's where computer style speakers are usually plugged into -- but speakers need power amplification and although a lot of computer style speakers have the amplifier built into the speakers today -- some don't. In fact your speaker output socket is really a line level stereo output which when plugged into non-amplified speakers would probably produce less than 1/3 of a watt. It is very useful for recording audio from your computer to an external source like a minidisc or an audio mixer set up. Or of course to a speakers amplifier or 'amplified speakers'.

The microphone input socket which is mono (because most people use mono microphones)is sometimes coloured pink is expecting a very low level
signal, which a microphone produces and it has it's own pre-amplifier (poor quality) built into it to boost it up to a line level or recording level so it can be processed in your PC.

The "Aux Input" socket is a stereo line level input sensitive to, or expecting a line level signal -- usually from about 300mv to 2 volts -- which is produced by equipment like CD players, tape players, minidisc players etc.

He posted this in another thread (thread602-541766) and told us he had bought surround sound speakers and was trying to get them to work with old intergrated stereo. He said he'd get a new sound card.

Jim

Hi Just saw your message..is the jumper on the motherboard
set correctly.if you are getting sound from 1 jack then the jumper is set correctly for 2 speakers,if you want dolby surround with 4 speakers change the jumper setting on the board.the jumpers for the ac 97 codec are a little backward.
you should now have the avaiability of both connectors
hope this helps............

Check the software that came with your motherboard.
My motherboard has also an integrated AC-97 sound chip and if I want to use 4 speaker setup than I have to enable this in the software by selecting if I want to use 2 or 4 speakers or digital out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back