Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Absolute NOOB! What do I need for ASP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecollett

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
NZ
Hello and apologies in advance for this.

I wish to start playing with asp to see whats involved. My experience is with access and more recently SQL server (I understand the basics of html as well).

I have got to grips with the theoretical concept of asp and now wish to start playing.

I am not sure what needs to happen serverside to enable the whole process. I have found a number of tutorials on how to do "my first asp page" etc, but I cant seem to work out what needs to be running on the server.

We have a server with SQL server on it. (It also has a directory on it that is shared out for our pdf electronic documents system - that only happened yesterday.) We also wish to use the server for automatic data logging from our grading camera, but that will be with MYSQL. I dont know if these last two processes are important, but I mentioned them just in case.

I am comfortable using notepad and IE on my pc for now to test the concepts out.

Our IT person is also unsure what is needed. Some advice or instructions would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Mike

You need Microsoft's IIS (webserver), or Chilisoft if you have another web server running, to run ASP programs.

aha ha ha ha!

Thank you trollacious!

I also tried a different search - "getting started" and found the following about 6 pages deep (for those in a similar boat to myself).

ASP 101
What is required to run ASP
faq333-669

Thanks Heaps
Mike

Now to hit IT up to see if it si on, or to put it on the server.

no doubt ill be back :)o]

If your server is running Windows Server OS, and you have the original install disk for Windows Server, you have the ability to add IIS to your server.

To do this:
[ol][li]Open up Add/Remove Programs from the control panel of ther server[/li]
[li]Click on the link for Add/Remove Windows Components[/li]
[li]Check the checkbox for Microsoft IIS[/li][/ol]

These steps were based on Windows Server 2000.

Earnie Eng

for local development until they get the server worked out, you can install PWS which is a local web server that supports ASP (windows platforms only) most windows platforms have PWS in the add/remove windows components.
if not, you can download and install it with the NT.4 Option pack

[thumbsup2]DreX
aKa - Robert
if all else fails, light it on fire and do the happy dance!

Thanks folks!

I installed the pws (I think!) as per some instructions I found the other day. I have a directory on c: called \Inetpub that happened as a result. The tuts talked about pointing the browser to http:/ (or something - Im sure that will be familiar to you experts) to pick up an .asp file as if it was on a sever. This method allows the scripting to processed yes?
I did all that but it didnt work.

I will digress a bit here for the sake of clarity. I talked above about using the server to log data. Well, currently it is logging to MY pc. While typing the above, I reaslised that my pc must be set up as a web server as the software to view the logged data is apache using php to query the MYSQL database that is also on my pc. Other pcs around the plant are aceessing this data, and man does it slow my pc down!!!!

When i type into the addressbar of IE, it brings back the camera php page ready to start surfing the data on my pc. I tried to put my asp file in the directory where these files were located and tried typing the page was blank although you can see the source code. therefore i have found the right spot to stuff the file, but the asp bit aint working.

confused? not as badly as i am!

Cheers
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back