Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABOUT VXD VMM - PLEASE HELP - WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBUCK

Vendor
Feb 8, 2004
AU
Can anyone tell me what file this error message relates to

A Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000516B in VxD VMM(01)+0000416B

Which version of Windoze(tm) gives you this message?

rgds
Zeit.

I am running Win98SE

I am doing absolutley nothing except booting up computer

Anything could help
THANX

You might want to try disabling startup items one by one in msconfig to see if any of your software that is loading on startup is causing a conflict. It sounds like that could be the issue.

Hi, ROBUCK,

I suggest you search with Google using Key words like "VXD" and "VMM(01)"

For a few minutes research I was unable to find your EXACT error message, however the likely causes of your problem seem to be, in no particular order:

Overheating of your CPU;
Incorrect video card driver;
Incorrect sound card driver;
Might have to do with wrong CD device drivers (perhaps after installing CD-RW drive);
Might have to do with scanner device driver;
Might have to do with USB port driver;

Not much help really…

This page may also help:
though I think the VXD files referred to are in different CABfiles with Win98SE.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Thanx for the replies guys

I have tried exhaustingly looking through search engines for the error - no good
Have tried ALL antivirus sites - no good

To: 1101001100110101 - I will try msconfig Thankyou for your suggestion

To: BigJohnD - I will check the things like
Overheating of your CPU; ****Possible
Incorrect video card driver; ****Not unless card has died
Incorrect sound card driver; ****not unless card has died
Might have to do with wrong CD device drivers (perhaps after installing CD-RW drive); ****Havent installed anything to conflict
Might have to do with scanner device driver; ****Will check scanner site for conflicts - thanx
Might have to do with USB port driver - ****didnt know there was a USB port driver - will check for corruptionor and update

Cheers
YOU R AWL LEGENDS
ROBUCK

Robuck: A VXD is a Virtual Device Driver, and VMM is the Virtual Memory Manager. This should give you at least a clue as to what to be looking for.

If you have a VMM error in a VXD, then you have a memory conflict. Next step? Look inside your device manager for all the memory ranges being used, and see if there is a duplicate. If you find a duplicate, pick the item (device) that you installed MOST RECENTLY and uninstall it, right down to the registry keys (if any). Then re-install it. If you still get this error, go to the vendor's site and see if there are any driver, firmware (if a hardware conflict) or other updates available. Install the updates and reboot. Do you still get the error?

Hope this helps.

ThreeDots

ThreeDots ...

No conflict happening there

Thanks though

If nothing works... well i suppose I will just have to format the ol' HDD............ BUGGER!!!!!

ROBUCK

Robuck;
Start>Run REGEDIT
Look for a MapCache entry in this Key of your REG;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VMM

Is this value there?
and how much RAM do you have installed?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back