Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

about to try remote access and need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

boryan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
US
I have a working Netgear VPN through which clients can easily access their email. However, they aren't really logged on to the network as we think of it. I want everyone to be able to work from home remotely. Does this mean I should run Terminal Services in Application mode and then when they connect via the VPN they will get a log on prompt just like when they are in the office? Anyone know what the licenses cost? What about Citrix? Is that only for large companies with money to burn? This is a small company, only 7-8 employees, running Windows Server 2003.

What's your budget? Citrix with a Citrix Secure Gateway would be the best solution, but it will run you a few bucks. However, with remote employees it's best to spend the cash on solid technology and not have to worry about maintaining software on a remote machine.

~wmichael

"small change can often be found under seat cushions

they want it of course as cheaply as possible since it's occasional users occasionally using. What kind of money does Citrix run you and does it require a separate server, cuz if so, that's out of the question. This is a small place 7-8 employees.

We are installing Terminal services for our network of 50 users; local and remote, we dont think that Citrix was necessary even for our London office which has 6 users on a 256kb connection. If its for home users then citrix will probably be overkill - even on a dial up terminal services should run just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back