Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About to start Micro Certs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradfosj

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2007
US
I have two years left in the Air Force. I am about to start testing for my certs. What certs should I start with and where should I go from there. What are contractors/companies looking for now days. I see the MCSE a lot but I want to start with the first cert and work my way up the list. Can anyone clarify. Also is it possible to get certified on every microsoft cert, I thought there were like 20 certs but I see certs for everything.

Thanks
SSgt Bradford, USAF

The first question should be "What do you want to work with?"

Networks
Programming
Database
Security .....

There is some cross over between.

Well I am a descent tech at Cisco but I seem to have nack for troubleshooting microsoft. I have worked with the clients to troubleshooting pc' app,software and hardware. I worked with Tape backups, SMS, Hercules, Sharepoint, remedy and Unicenter. I don't know where to start with certs, and I'm not sure i understand fully with the question of what direction to go in. Do you mean like security or design..

bradfosj,

What I think dyarwood was getting at is what do you plan to work with after you get out of the Air Force? Figure out your strengths and then persue certifications that will bolster your strengths in the private sector.

"troubleshooting microsoft" is a bit too broad. Troubleshooting what? Servers? Clients? DNS? Active Directory Replication?

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE: Security 2003

Understood, I guess I need to take a look at what I'm really good at. I work with all of it on a daily basis with a team, so I'm not sure what exactly my strenghts are. Well looks like I'm going to have to do some thinking.. Thanks for tasking me with what I need to work on. Once I figure it out, I will let you guys know.

Take the CCNA test, then start the MCSE track. SharePoint is big and getting bigger. Since you mentioned that, you could lean that way, along with SQL.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back