Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About the 2.6.(foo) kernels...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lullysing

ISP
Sep 29, 2003
US
I'm having some trouble locating regular, plain english info on the new kernel. For example:
- What packet filtering/FW utility is it going to be bundled with / bwcompatible to ... ? ( Iptables again ?)
- What are the main reasons i would switch from a stable 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel ?

I'm not the kind of person to go "oohhh shiny" whenever there's a new thing coming out...but i'm still curious about, especially knowing if i'm gonna have to relearn how to make my firewall again.

--Dave

IPTables is still the standard packet filter in 2.6

2.6 makes extensive inroads into new module support for new hardware, and far more support for large hardware platforms (64GB of RAM or something silly).

Most important is the native use of enhanced kernel process locking that allows the kernel to perform faster under heavy load.

You shouldn't hesitate on the basis of the kernel's new features. You may want to wait for 2.6.2 or .3 to make sure no surprises come up in the code itself.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

the netfilter.org page still hasn't been updated to confirm the fact that they are the de-facto packet filtering utility for the 2.6 kernel yet, so that's why i was very much unsure about it.

Where you get your info... kernel.org?

The kernel tarball comes with tons of documentation (593 files, 155272 lines), and the help available in the kernel configuration is also quite extensive (usually refers you to files in the documentation or websites for more information).

//Daniel

I honestly completely forgot about the kernel tarball info/READMEs/docs Daniel... but then again, was the iptables question answered easely or would i have had to dig it out outta some random file?

Simply configuring the kernel and going to Device drivers -> Networking support -> Networking options and selecting Help on the "Network packet filtering (replaces ipchains)" would have told you it was using Netfilter.

//Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back