Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

about telnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

zallen

Programmer
Aug 10, 2000
CN
Hi,friend
After installing Redhat7(seawolf) i can telnet itself on the same box,But i cannot telnet to it from other windows box though i can ping it.

Any suggestion is appreciated! zallen@cmmail.com
Long live of freedom!

Hi,

You need to install the telnet-server rpm if it's not already installed. Try 'rpm -qa | grep telnet'. If its not there install that rpm first.

Once you've done that, edit the /etc/xinet.d/telnet file and change 'disable=yes' to 'disable=no'. Then restart the xinetd daemon by '/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart'. Your telnet server should now work. (i'm assuming there is no firewalling in place here...)

Rgds

Oops, think I misread your question a bit. If the server is working on your linux box and it's a question of remote access then check /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to see if there are any restrictions there. Otherwise, I would guess it's firewalled. Redhat 7.1 ships with a ipchains based firewall which could have been turned on during install.

To configure the RH firewall, from a console window, do a 'su -' and provide root password. Then do 'setup' and select 'firewall-configuration'. Or do 'gnome-lokkit' direct from Xterm. See for redhat related firewall information.

Rgds

Thank you very much!
Sorry for my poor English . I think it is the firewall to disable the remote visit .I will test it once i return to my office.

Regards! zallen@cmmail.com
Long live of freedom!

After i diable the firewall i can telnet it from windows box now.But one same problem appears! i can use mysql client side on the same linux box as the mysql server(version:3.23.36).When i use mysql client side on windows i cannot connect to the linux box.
The message is Host 'myhost-name' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server.(BTW i test it using 3.23.28 and 3.23.38 for windows).
The /var/log/mysqld.log can give me nothing :(

Any help are greatly appreciated! zallen@cmmail.com
Long live of freedom!

Just use ssh. it's more secure.

Hope this helps!!

Rninja

Hi,

The mysql problem is no doubt because mysql checks the user grant table for the column 'Host' associated with the 'User'. Most likely, you would have a value of 'localhost' in that column for the row containing the user you are connecting with.

To allow access from anywhere in a domain you would do something like :

INSERT INTO user (Host, User, password)
VALUES("%.yourdomain.com","Ausername",
PASSWORD("topsecret"));

Regards.

ifincham :
Thanks you! but it doesnot work.Do i need to add %.yourdomain.com in /etc/host.allow?

Regards! zallen@cmmail.com
Long live of freedom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back