Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

about Swap file of windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberdyne

Programmer
May 1, 2001
IN
Hello all !

Was Just wandering about swap file of windows ! My computer is giving me low disk space warning when i am using internet. I have 3 GB partiotion on C drive. and Free disk is around 950 MB. But then suddenly after 15 20 minutes it shows 4 mb and within seconds it comes to in 100 kb and 16kb all that. What I am surfing is on TEK-TP site , google site etc.

The I have to shut down machine and restart and I get back 900 mB.

The swap file settings are managed by windows. I have NOT specified any fixed size.

Ok. My swap file size is 98304 KB. currently when i am writing this.

What could be wrong ?

Also i would like to know that does windows accuire that much space (98304 kb) for swap file when booted ? or it uses te space as much as required ?

Pls reply
asap.

Thanks

Apoorva

How much RAM do you have in your system?

Anyway, without knowing that, (I'm not even sure your problem is swapfile related) I say you should limit the swapfile size.

Do that by:

Start menu -> control panel -> system -> Performance -> Virtual Memory -> Click "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings"
and then put minimum AND maximum to 256.

Let me know if that has helped any.

Turn down the cache space allotted in Internet Explorer...Tools/InternetOptions/TemporaryInternetFiles/Settings...set it 80 to 90 Mb and try it.
While you're in there, go to the Advanced tab and enable emptying TIF folder when browser is closed.

Thanks,

ok I will try this suggestion given by both of u.

ram in my system is 128 mb.

regards

Apoorva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back