Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About novell, beginner, who can help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopimp

MIS
Jun 9, 2002
CA
Hi, Im all new to novell, don't even know what it is... who can recommend me a link for starters on it. I am somewhat of an pro the win2000 server and XP just 'cause of my hands on experience but what the deal with novell clients ect...

thanks

When you're coming from the Microsoft world, Novell looks pretty difficult. It's powerful stuff, though. The central admin tools are incredible. Most of my clients have Microsoft networks and it makes me crazy that I can't manage them from one place the way I can my Novell networks - out of the box, too. I'm not talking about helpful (and costly) add-ons.

Unless you have a network to play with, it's pretty tough to learn much about Novell. If you can get a workstation with enough hunk, get hold of a demo, install a Netware 6 server, and give it a try. I love Linux and like XP and Win2K, but Netware is my favorite.

Don't get discouraged, Novell is a strong company with losts of capitol behind it. Many many places will tell you that Novell is a dead company just about to go under. These people do not know what they are talking about and are just repeating M$ FUD. The other source for this is looking at stock prices. What most people don't consider is that the only thing Novell does is network soutions. Their product line includes server, network managment, desktop managment, groupware, and other network solutions. M$ does these same things using different technology (old technology at that)PLUS M$ does office productivity, home entertainment, desktop OS, Internet services, and various other markets. Last I heard, M$ consists of 5 divisions, last quarter 3 of those divisions posted a loss while the other two posted huge profits (guess which two those were). Combine Novell, AOL, Corel and Sony and then you have a fair comparison with Microsoft.

Spending a few hundered to a few thousand on Novell training is worth while, just can be hard to find in some places. If you a reader then the books will do you some good, but experience will help more (and keep you from being labled a paper back CNE). Getting test equipment can be difficult for some, I would suggest looking at products like VMware or VirtualPC. This will allow you to play with NetWare servers (or any other OS for that matter) with in your desktop enviroment (be it Linux or Windows). They are pretty nice programs, my preference is VMware, but both can be difficult to setup a NetWare server if you don't do your homework nor if you RTFM.

Here are some good resources for learning Novell software;
The support page, it's all free.
In places you may be asked for a user ID, it is just for a oneNet id Novell can use for tracking who downloads their software. It is usually only needed for Beta or distribution software, not for patches. You may find it eaier to search for stuff on Novell's web site than it is on M$ or a few others out here. I've just had better luck finding my answer by entering in the stright error message in Novell's knowledge base that in M$'s knowledge base. You can also get a copy of all of Novell's software is eval form from here (you may need to order the ZENWorks product line). When you download the NetWare 6 SP2 overlay cd, there is a three user eval license on the cd, under the LICENSE directory. You can also order a software eval pack from Novell or your local Novell Partner.

This site is maintained by Novell Consulting. You will find many tips and tricks here. It's a valuable tool and every Novell guru should know about it and use it.

The answer to RTFM. You will find that you can not get paper documentation on NetWare with out forking out some extra bucks. These are PDF files of all the documentation on all the products.

App notes are a vailuable tool also. You will find things here that are not in the documtentation or knowledge base. Mostly tells you how the stuff works so you can tweak it any way you wish.

A great place for Novell shareware Brent Schmidt CNE,Network + [atom]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple [rofl]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back