Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

about methods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
well,i'm really new in java (and programming) and i'd like to know if there is a site where i can fing what every method does,it's syntax etc.!

thanx!

The SUN documentation API has 2 levels to get to the methods.

1. Click on a package and then the class within that package.

2. Click on a class(left frame in the browser), this is a complete list of all the classes.

Once you have selected a class or Interface, you will see all the methods, Constructors, Fields, etc. for that class. All public methods are what we call the Public interface and any other class can call that method. Static Methods can be called by just using the Class name and no reference as an object.

Notice that each class shows a hierarchy of what classes it inherits from. It also lists all the other methods that it automatic inherits from these classes.

One of the biggest mistakes beginning Java programmers make is to not look at the methods that are inherited into a class. Many great methods are available to you, just by looking at all listed for a class.

Good luck
Brian

If you use a full IDE with your Java programming, such as JBuilder, it comes with the API methods embedded in a tree form. You can expand on packages, classes, etc. to see the original code used by Sun with their developement. You can not change the code, but you can view it and read their comments.

There is also okay books online with the IDE showing examples, tutorials, and documentation. Unfortunately, it is slow running.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back