Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About delphi & mySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldojoles

Programmer
Apr 1, 2007
PH
im currently using BDE as my database engine and planning to migrate to mysql if possible... my question is....

can mySQL be integrated with delphi ?

if you install mysql does it create a component automatically in delphi IDE ?

Which version of Delphi do you have?

I use MySQL extensively with Delphi 7. I use dbExpress to access MySQL because it is very fast and performance is usually important to my applications.

Installing MySQL on your computer does not change the Delphi IDE.

Andrew
Hampshire, UK

im using delphi6... is mySql really faster compare to BDE?
im currently developing a POS and when all workstation are up quering or searching really slows down even all the tables are indexed... i wonder if mySQL can make a difference...

You mention BDE without saying which database system you are using.

In my experience, MySQL performs significantly faster than single user databases such as Access, dBASE and Paradox.

MySQL was designed as a multi user database. Databases such as Access, dBASE and Paradox are essentially single user databases. Paradox, for example, has had a crude locking mechanism added to make it multi user which if I remember correctly locks the whole table which is not efficient if many users are trying to access the table at the same time.

So you will find something like MySQL will be able to handle lots of concurrent users much better than single user database systems.

A multi user database system such as MySQL is much more scaleable than a single user system.

Andrew
Hampshire, UK

thanks i really appreciate the help...

IMO, the best MySQL access component is Core Lab MySQL (which costs $79.95 to $349.95). It's fast, with small footprint, compatible with BDE with components that mimic the interfaces and functions of BDE's components (TQuery, TDataSource, and TUpdateSQL) for easy migration.

The end product will also be easily deployable. You'll only need the .exe file + libmysql.dll if you choose Client Mode. Or you can just deploy the .exe file if you choose Direct Mode (never tried this one though).

There is also an active support forum for this component at:

To download the trial version visit :

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back