Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

about:blank popup/virus and Desktop Hijacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inziladun

Technical User
Feb 4, 2005
US
Hello, I have two problems, the first (most annoying) is a pop up, the title of the Window is 'About:Blank', it comes up around every 10 minutes and minimizes all applications currently open. The second is a Desktop Hijacker, after a lot of scans i've gotten it to where it's just a blank white page with my Desktop backround hidding in the back, though the entire desktop is a giant link (if I click it, it takes me to a website).

I have 'ZoneAlarm pro' Firewall along with 'Ad-Aware SE personal', 'CWShredder', 'Spy-bot Search', 'AVG 6.0' and 'Spy Sweeper'. I've run them all numerous times and they can't get rid of these problems! All my programs are up-to-date so the only solution I can think of is to wait until more virus definitions are available to update but that'll take weeks and it's a long shot as well.

So I come to the internet (which i'm lucky i'm even able to access) for help and you guys just so happen to be the first on my search list!

A little help, please?

Also try running microsofts version of anti-spyware, it is free and works great for me! Good luck

Check what programs are running at the startup. You can check that with msconfig command and disable any additional programs that are not needed by the system to start.! Once you get your computer up and running with minimum programs running in the start up and background scan your computer again with the adaware and anti virus. Good Luck

Update the anti-spyware and anti-virus software completely. Reboot, using SafeMode, to prevent the popups (mostly) from loading. Run all utilities while in safe mode to remove stuff that gets stuck in resident memory when the computer is booted normally.

Additionally, there are various versions of that dang about:blank pop-up, and just as many ways that are required in order to remove it. I had a particularly virilent version that had found a way to disable my antivirus, without notifying the antivirus. In otherwords, I thought I had anti-virus running (mcafee), when nothing was protecting my computer. I felt like a person who was rock climbing and found out that I wasn't tied to anything halfway down the cliff face. I only caught it when I updated my anti-virus and noticed that it wasn't enabling correctly. I even had to trick the dang thing into turning on to catch the spyware.

Ergh.

Additionally, for in-depth assistance (I am not a pro at this), I would strongly recommend another site for help. I don't know what the policy on outside links are here, but the folks at Spyware Info have been exceptionally helpful in working through particular virilent strands of popups before:

If you have patience, they will get you through the problem.

I don't believe any link that is legit and helps solve a problem will ever be frowned upon here.

Speaking of links...check out BCastner's recommendations on best practices to remove spyware/malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back