Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

about antivirus s/w for win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushtosri

Programmer
Feb 25, 2001
US
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me which antivirus s/w is best suited for Windows 2000 professional? It will be very helpful for me if u point me to some free antivirus s/w on the net which can be easily downloaded?

Awaiting for ur replies.
Shri

INNOCULATE IT! is a program I've seen my brother use. Peronally, I don't use one, so I can't recommend one over another. I do know this one is free, at least last I checked.

First of all, you should remove the windows script host file on your machine. This iliminates the possibility of a worm virus comming through your e-mail. On windows 2000 go to my computer, tools, folder options, file types, and remove the file called vbs - vbscript script file. Unless you are using visual basic in programming, then you can't remove this file or vb will not work. As far as antivirus programs go, In my experience Norton makes things hang! don't know why, you could try macafee or go with a really good Hardware Firewall such as the Linksys Router. Configured correctly, you should be invisable on the Internet.

Jared Abdul
Network Engineer
MCSE

Hi,

Thanks a lot for ur replies. But one thing i wanted to make it clear and that was i'm not always connected to the net. I use my system for my personal use. I'm a comp sci. student. To be on safer side i just wanted to install an antivirus s/w which can be downloaded from the web. I surf the net at my office. It has nothing to do with my system at home on which i wanted to install the antivirus s/w. Right now, as said by Tekno5ile, i've installed Innoculate IT on my system and it is working fine.

Anyway thanks for ur replies once again,

With regards,
Shri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back