Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abnormal Exchange IS and Brick Level Backup - The Solution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knutern

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
NO
Hi all,

this has been a long journey. From the day when this problem surfaced (June 2003) until it "accidentally" worked (beginning of November 2003).

The problem was our backup of Microsoft Exchange Information Store (Exchange Server 2000) and Brick Level backup. We are using ARCserve 9 with SP1 and Patch 3.

The backup of our information store seemed to be doing right. The job log would always containt this error message:[tt]
E8524
Received unrecognized command from the client agent. (COMMAND=-69)
E8604
Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=First Storage Group, EC=)
[/tt]

At the end of the backup session however it would say that no errors occured. I took this for granted and did not bother to check, as the size backed up made sense. Then for some strange reason, i did check and much to my surprise saw that the information store totaled some 24GB and I had a bunch of transaction files from way back. This did not correspond with the 17GB backed up "successfully".

In addition to this, as if that wasn't enough, brick level would do ok one day, then the next day only back up a few mailboxes, lastly not backing up any mailboxes. The job log would look like this:
[tt]
[11/15/2003-17:02:24 ,0,0,0,0,0,2,1,0,0] \Individual Mailboxes\XXX
[11/15/2003-17:18:42 ,0,0,0,0,0,2,1,0,0] \Individual Mailboxes\YYY
[11/15/2003-17:18:45 ,0,0,0,0,0,2,1,0,0] E8604
[11/15/2003-17:18:45 ,0,0,0,0,0,2,1,0,0] Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=\Individual Mailboxes\ZZZ, EC=EXCH Exchange Agent -- (2529) \"Fail to Open Information Store\".)
[11/15/2003-17:18:45 ,0,0,0,0,0,2,1,0,0] \Individual Mailboxes\ZZZ
[11/15/2003-17:18:49 ,0,0,0,0,0,2,1,0,0] E8604
[11/15/2003-17:18:49 ,0,0,0,0,0,2,1,0,0] Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=\Individual Mailboxes\ZZZ1, EC=EXCH Exchange Agent -- (2529) \"Fail to Open Information Store\".)
[11/15/2003-17:18:49 ,0,0,0,0,0,2,1,0,0] \Individual Mailboxes\ZZZ1
[/tt]

Now, we have another location where we are using ARCserve 9 to backup up IS and brick level too. The major difference is, their information store is considerabley smaller then ours, only some 4GB. We experienced the same kind of error messages in the job log, but in this case IS was backed up successfully and transaction logs were all deleted thereafter. Brick Level caused same problems there as with us.

After numerous attempts, trying to solve this problem on my own and with help of Tek-Tips community, which led to nothing unfortunately, I finally called ARCserve Support.

To make a long story short: German ARCserve Support sucks [evil]. A month o' wasted time. I got pissed off at some point, wrote an angry e-mail which i addressed to some important people, and things happend. At the end I ended up with ARCserve support in USA.

The solution to Information Store Problem: When creating a backup job it is important that you select Named Pipes as remote protocol and that backup is done through Network Neighbourhood. Expand the computer, right click Microsoft Information Store you want to back up, select Remote Protocol and from the two possiblities select Named Pipes instead of TCP/IP.

The solution to Brick Level Problem: CA claims Exchange Server instability to be the reason why. They have provided us with a fix which deals with this scenario. It's a Exchange Agent DLL-File (Dbaxchg2.dll) that needs to be replaced. The fix is numbered T367075.

My backups are running error free for now. I sincerely hope it stays this way

Especially, I would like to thank mohamdr who really tried his best. I also hope this information will help other from falling into the same pit.

Cheers
Knutern

I am having the same problem but I can't find the fix on CA's web site for the exchange agent dll file. PLease help.

Uhm... I asked CA Support about the fix T367075 and it turns out it has not gone public yet.

I could off course send you this fix, but I do not know if I thereby violte rules and well, I do not want you to publish your e-mail here...

-Knutern

I am suffering brick level backups a 15 kbm. Short term solution is to do bricks for only a dozen "senior staff." My IS level backups move at about 250 kbm.

Does the T367075 fix address the slow brick?

I just checked at a search of CA's site still does not have a reference to T367075.

Thanks

Once a testfix is posted online it is either added to another update for instance a general update for the DB Agent, or the next Added Device support update, or the next Service Pack something along those lines. If it is released on it's own then the file name is a QOxxxxx.caz. So you would have to look for either a general Exchange Agent update or an update with the specific problem description.

I have not seen this issue addressed in the current released V9 patches. I'll guess I try and bug CA into passing me an early release as well.

The T367075 fix does not address slow Brick Level performance.

Cheers

EC=EXCH Exchange Agent -- (2529) \"Fail to Open Information Store\".)

i've got this error too, but also waiting for a solution. only got this with disabled user accounts...

Hi,

If you get this only with disable user accounts..
and if you are not planning to use their mailboxes any longer. .

You can use the "Run Cleanup Agent" from the Exhcange System Manager.

This should "x" out all the orphaned mailboxes..

you can then purge these mailboxes..

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

The brick level agent will get a list of mailboxes to backup by looking to see what accounts have resources in the information store. If the account has benn removed from the directory store (exchange 5.5) or active directory (exchange 2000+) the mapi calls to get this data will fail since the call to the actual account to open fails. Performing the steps that Spexhalyst states will remove the resources from the Information Store. Setting the retention time to 0 days in the IS for deleted mailboxes should reduce the # of 429 (exchange 5.5)/2529 (exchange 2000+) errors that are seen. However if accounts are disabled due to a temporary leave of the company, and the user will be coming back, you will not be able to recall the mail data for that user from the Exchange Server. Not a problem if you are forcing clients to use PST files.

Did you still use the agent when you configured the IS back job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back