Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Able to VPN but not able to Access Intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihawk63

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
SG
Hi,

Wish to seek assistance with regards to the above.
Got about 200 users with 50 users using W2K.The problems encountered by these are users is listed below.This is give you a detail description of the problem so that you would able to visualize the issue.

1.Client Software is Alcatel for W2K pro.
2.Users are able to access to VPN via ISP dialup.
3.Users using Win98 has no such problems
4.Users using win2k is able to logon to VPN and Lotus Mail but unable to access the Intranet.

Error Message is : ERROR 205 -- DNS name lookup failure. Please contact your system administrator.

I suspect that it could a routing issuebut was told by the network engineer that the routing is fine and it could be the W2K configuration.All users using W2K is having this problem.Funny part is that when they use broadband access they have no problems accessing the intranet.So i could only think that the dialup settings could be a problem.Checked the Internet Proxy Settings and found them to be correct.Did a tracert to the intranet and got Time Outs.I was wondering whether is there anything I could have missed out.We did a few test with a win98 and win2k and found that the win98se seems to be working well.However with regards to win2k we seem to see that when the proxy settings of LAN settings are set they can access the intranet which i find it vague as they are using dialup and not LAN.Could you experts kindly assist me on what I am missing here.

Thank You

Nelson William
Singapore

Whenever you bring a machine in to an internal network through a VPN, you have to consider that they are now part of two worlds. On one hand, they need to know how to go places on their ISP's network. That means they need to know the ISP's DNS servers and domain name information.

On the other hand, they also need to know about the internal dns servers within your company and its domain information. Otherwise, they will not be able to find things on your internal network.

Did you mean to say Internet or did you really mean Intranet?

Here's another thing. Your VPN users, when they appear on the internal network, are coming in from a special IP subnet dedicated to VPN use. If your users cannot access the proxy server, have someone check the proxy server to see if it has a route back to the VPN network. It probably doesn not even know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back