Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Able to block RAS at DHCP server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kythri

Technical User
Jan 21, 2003
US
We've got a few vendor-supplied machines that we can't eliminate, and we can't get them to disable RAS on these boxes.

As such, we're dealing with these systems grabbing addresses in our DHCP scopes.

Is there a way to block this at the DHCP server, or perhaps another level, that doesn't require us to disable RAS on the server itself?

That seems to be a MAC filter - the RAS addresses don't have a MAC, their "unique ID" is "RAS".

Further, I can't install anything on the DHCP server at this time.

I was hoping for some internal functionality that allows this - it's completely ridiculous that one entity could setup RAS services in my environment, and short of killing all access to that RAS server at the network level, I can't prevent the RAS access, such as not allowing DHCP leases at the server for it.

Sadly, this seems to be more ammo for going with a Bluecat or Infoblox solution...

If these machines are authenticating to the domain via RAS then isn't there user accounts assigned as well? Also why not assign a false static IP? If you want the MAC address then look at pingtesteasy at download.com. This is free and can scan the network for all IP's which also shows the MAC.

They're not domain machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back