Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

abit kg7 raid using 4 ide,s ??help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hello,i,ve just got an Abit kg7 raid mother board with 4 ide channels,no1,2,3,4.which ide,s should i place my dvd rom/burner rom/new maxtor 40 gig ata 133 and old 12 gig poss dma66?.i hooked them all up to motherboard on ther own ide channels and set all jumpers to 'cable select' but bios wont recognise the hard drives the manual is a bit vague in this area.thanks.

I've not used a RAID motherboard, but I do know that the second pair of IDE slots do not function like 'normal' slots, as they are for the RAID functions. Check this link out for more on RAID:
For now, put the hard drives on the primary and the CD drives on the secondary. Jumper your C: drive as master, and the other one as slave. Master drives should go in the middle of the cable. For the CD drives, if one of them is a writer, make it the master.

Study up on RAID, and the capabilities of your motherboard. You will probably have to have matched drives for the RAID array, but perhaps not. Your motherboard manufacturer's site can probably tell you that.

HTH

DosMaster
"To err is human, to really foul things up, it takes a computer."
"Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if it kept its mouth shut!"
" *REAL* Programmers can write: 'Copy Con Program.Exe' "
SETI - Be part of something special:

@DosMaster:

That's not correct.

It's possible to use the the four IDE slots just for connecting drives. Without any RAID functionality.

I did this with my board (Abit KT7A) and it works fine.
There is only one problem. I have 2 HDDs on slot 1,
a DVD and a CD-Rom at slot 2 and a Plextor CD-RW on slot 3.
Now I can't switch on the UDMA-mode for the CD-RW. There is no checkbox in the system-settings like for the other drives.

Has anyone experience with these RAID-controllers?

cya

frag patrick.metz@epost.de

Thanks, frag. You learn something new every day. I'll have to study up on the Abit RAID setup. For what it's worth, I have a Plextor 16x10x40a, on a non-RAID IDE bus and it won't run in DMA mode, either.

DosMaster "To err is human, to really foul things up, it takes a computer."
"Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if it kept it's mouth shut!"
" *REAL* Programmers can write: 'Copy Con Program.Exe' "
SETI-Be part of something special:

hey thanks you guys,any help is welcome,i havnt done a major upgrade for a while and feel a bit out of it.one thing worried me was having my new ata133 maxtor 7200 hdd on the same ide as my old 12 gig 5400 [possibly a dma66]?as ive heard my new drive will only run as fast as the slowest drive on same cable??gonna rejuggle some ide's and jumpers tonight so i will let you know how well it goes or how mangled my head gets,good job the old pc is just intact,thanks again,bye...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back