Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ability to Import data into ACT Notes area

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvalentini

Technical User
Jun 1, 2007
US
Does ACT 2007 provide the ability to import data from an Excel, txt, csv, etc file into the Notes area? I've tried and tried to find a place for this to happen, but have failed. Other than creating a new "notes" field in the database, can a person just import directly into the notes field that ACT has provided?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Nick

I have found that this is possible when importing a contact. But not directly to an existing contact/company.

The bits below are from the file I saved for my contact import template and might help someone a bit more tecchy than I.

<Association>
<Field Name="For ACT Import" />
<Field Name="ACTNOTESAGGREGATE" />
</Association>

and

<FieldMetaData Name="Notes" Display="Notes" FieldType="STRING" IsVisible="True" IsReadonly="False" LUID="-1" />

From what I read in the Help menus, there is a Unique Identifier that is required when importing ancillary data such as Notes. The problem is, you can't access the contactid from within the GUI interface or through any exports, so you get duplicate data no matter what you do.

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?? I'm working on a client project and need to remedy this quickly!

Assuming you're referring to ACT! 7 or later, you can use itImport -
This allows you to select your own fields for matching the records and can import/merge to all ACT! tables - contacts, companies, groups, sub-contacts, notes, histories, activities, sales ops.

IT will import from excel, csv or txt.

If using ACT!5/6, use Oak!Merge! -
Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back