Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ability to archive data to another database

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2002
US
Howdy,

I am finishing up developing this project management package for my client in the construction industry; they want a data archiving scheme where they can transfer all the data of a completed job (based on JobID) to another database of their choosing, for purposes of archiving and proper maintenance.

I'd prefer an automatic solution where the users could do it on there own by selecting the job and the database they want it transferred to (but I'd also prefer driving a Porsche).

This needs to be safe since the system will be left to their own ignorant hands, so I'm looking for solid code on this one. But would appreciate a point in the right direction too.

Thanks,
Blaine

Does a job mean 1 record or many?

rollie@bwsys.net

A "Job" consists of many records, 49 tables, actually. We need to archive ALL the data associated with a job - billing, RFIs, Submittals, Change Orders, Transmittals, Memos, Contracts, Supplements, etc..

Here's the breakdown:

- One table (tblJobs) is a general Job info table that all the other tables directly or indirectly relate to. tblJobs is the main table basically.

- 32 of the other tables relate directly to tblJobs using the JobID.

- the other remaining 16 tables relate indirectly to tblJobs (i.e. they are the "many" side of the other 32 tables)

Thanks in advance
-Blaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back