Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

abend trying to compile cobol w/ JCL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccfc1986

Technical User
Oct 5, 2009
US
Hey all,

I am very new to cobol and JCL. So please ignore some of my horrible coding techniques etc! But i am trying to compile a program that i KNOW works (i had previously compiled it and executed it using the mainframes procedures etc). But now we have to create our own JCL to make it work! Ouch! I have come across the following error:

abend=s0000 u4038 reason=000000000 936

I am getting a file was OPENED or CLOSED incorrectly error aswell. But for this part of the assignment - all i want to be doing is being able to compile the thing within the JCL - NOT executing it! Hope you guys can help me out!

Thank you in advance!

Hi CCFC,

You haven't provided enough info about the exec of the JCL and the Abend. If you can, copy and paste the listing produced at executiona and the info surrounding the abend. At this point ew don't need the dump, just the msgs and any msg #s, for ex., "IEFxxxnnn: ERROR OPENING FILE xxxxx", etc.

Thanx and

Regards, Jack.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved" -- Charles F. Kettering

Check your record lengths. If they do not match between the JCL and your source code, you'll get the file OPENED or CLOSED incorrectly error.

Randy

CCFC

you say you only want to compile the program at this point but your JCL looks like it is executing a "load and go" linker in the 2nd step.

Code:
STEP2 EXEC PGM=HEWLDRGO,...

You might try asking around for JCL that executes PGM=IEWL, which is just the linker. Or try removing this "step2" and only executing the IGYCRCTL (compiler) step only.

But regardless, you should be getting a compile listing spooling to SYSPRINT.

Are you getting any output at all?

Code what you mean,
and mean what you code!
But by all means post your code!

Razalas

Possibly i have missed something, but these:
Select Input-File Assign to PIZZERIA.
Select Print-File Assign to PRINTER.
have no DD statements in the attached JCL.

I suspect HEWLDRGO both links the code and executes it, so the DDs for the files used in the code need to be specified.

Hello gyus! I'm new in Cobol Programming and I'm having some troubles with my Batch report. The message I receive when I try to submmit it is: "JCL Error".

I tryed everything but it doesn't work.
I had received these messages too:
"5 IEFC621I EXPECTED CONTINUATION NOT RECEIVED
6 IEFC662I INVALID LABEL
6 IEFC605I UNIDENTIFIED OPERATION FIELD
7 IEFC640I EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF POSITIONAL PARAMETERS ON THE EXEC STATEMENT"

Please help me!

Thanks!

I really don't know what to do.

Hello gyus! I'm new in Cobol Programming and I'm having some troubles with my Batch report. The message I receive when I try to submmit it is: "JCL Error".

I tryed everything but it doesn't work.
I had received these messages too:
"5 IEFC621I EXPECTED CONTINUATION NOT RECEIVED
6 IEFC662I INVALID LABEL
6 IEFC605I UNIDENTIFIED OPERATION FIELD
7 IEFC640I EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF POSITIONAL PARAMETERS ON THE EXEC STATEMENT"

I really don't know what to do.

Please help me!

Thanks!

Go to the line number indicated.
Example: 5 IEFC621I EXPECTED CONTINUATION NOT RECEIVED
On line 5 of your code, do you have a comma at the end?
This would indicate that the code is to be continued on the next line.

Randy

If you post the problem jcl, someone will be able to tell you what is wrong.

Alan18,
Please start your own thread. It will ensure that you get better answers to your problem.

ccfc,
Is your problem now resolved?

Regards,
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back