Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abend Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

needalife

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2003
US
Does anyone use or know of a method / product to be notified when a netware server 5.1/6 abends? Me the admin seems to be the last to know.

It usually only takes a few seconds for my phone to start ringing off the hook... That's the only notification I know of.

I don't recall with NetWare 5. But on NetWare 6.x it's an easy 2 or 3 step process

- Remote Manager ( Health Monitor --> Mail Notification Configuration --> and put your SMTP mail server address there. Save it..

- Then, in the Notification list, put in your email address. Save it.

- Go back to the main Health Monitor and put a check mark in the boxes that you want.. probably ABENDED Thread Count and High Utilization.. Apply settings, and you're done.

- You can adjust the thresholds on any of the notifications.

A couple notes..

-If you're using GroupWise for your mail server, and you are sending to an external email address, the server won't be able to relay off of your mail server. So to fix this, on your GWIA SMTP relay settings, put an exception for each of the Novell servers that you want notification from.

-The Portal has a built in mini SMTP server that sends the notification. You don't have to have any other mail services setup on the server.

I use this method with a lot of my clients. Sometimes I know they have a problem before they do.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Thx, hopefully I will be upgrading to 6.5 soon. I was hoping there was a tested utility that does this until the upgrade. For now, it appears I have to wait by the phone.

I just checked on a NetWare 5.1 server and the same functionality appears to be built into the NW5.1 portal as well.

It's not as streamlined, but it looks like you have all of the same options. I've never used it on NW5.1 so I don't know how well it works. On 6.5 it works great.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

It works well on both 5.1 & 6.0. I have used it for a long while now.

Cheers,
Mark ;-)

if they are hp /compaq then insight will email you as well

Insight Manager is evil. EVIL. And just chock full of security holes. And for some reason, it likes to spit loopback traffic out on the network, at random. Keeps tripping alarms on the SNORT box.

Go ahead, just try to get rid of it. IT COMES BACK.

I'm one of those guys who never accepts a factory install on a server. I fdisk everything that comes through the door.

It has it's moments. I've just replaced a PSU on an ML530 G1 and had to stop and start the Agents to get rid of the failed error??

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I'd like to add more hard drives to our Dell Power Edge running Netware 5.1 SP7, but not quite sure what to do w/the operating system. Where could I get procedures on installing additional hardware? Thanks from a Netware illiterate, but changing...

I have been successful using the portal on a 6.0 server but not on any 5.1sp6 server trying to use the email function. Anyone doing email alert using 5.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back