Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AA Answering too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountainbear

Programmer
Sep 27, 2009
CA
The other day I made a few minor changes to a BCM50 that was installed by someone else. It is set up to have the Auto Attendent answer and has a CCR tree. after I left they called to say the call display is no longer working.
For some reason the AA is picking up emediately instead of after 2 rings, so caller ID does not have time to registar. Night service is off, and all phones are either set to appear only or forward to vmail after 6 rings. Any ideas as to why this would pick up emediately? I did not make any serious changes to the system (that I can think of).

Are they analog lines - I had this situation and I had to make the phones at front desk ring for the caller ID to show up - they may be saying it isn't ringing because they cant hear the 2 rings first when the auto attendant then picks up - I tried everythink and made the main phone ring and she has to just wait 2 rings and explained the line ringing - 1 long ring and the intercom ring which is what the aa uses is 2 short rings - wait for that and they see the caller id now

It is definitely picking up emmediatly. I have called in several times using line 2 or 3 and it always picks up right away. They are annalog lines. The retail store has some IP phones in some kind of ring group.

What I did: line four was a dirrect line to the reatail store not part of the AA so I assigned line four to answer after 2 rings in AA. I also changed their CCR tree, added a third menu item (retail store).
I went into operator settings (982)but I don't think I changed anything.
Since the retail store was set to ring six times before going to v.mail I turned appear and ring to appear only.
I can't think of anything else I would have changed. It has been a while since I have worked on Nortel (mostly CICS) so I don't like to make big changes that I can't repair.

verify that none of the phones where the incoming lines ring have "forward Busy" set. if they do, clear that field. also be sure that none of them have the call forward feature set.

I will check the call forward on busy. My changes were to line 64. Forward on busy should only cause an issue if that phone rings on an incomming line, right?
What about a ringing group (retail had many phones but only one set to ring, although ALL phones did ring)?

I went there today to fix an unrelated issue (set restriction), and also to try to set up element manager. I changed DHCP from disable to enable and back again, For some reason this frroze the v. mail so I rebooted. Now everything works great.
Do all changes need a reboot? could it have been that simple? just needed a reboot?

Now I'm just looking for info on setting up element manager since the people who installed this didn't set it up.

I have encountered this issue on several BCMs, especially Release 5. If you make a change in voicemail, it will make the lines answer at zero rings, despite what it may say in programming.

To fix, simply turn off AA from answering on all lines, and log out of admin. Go back in and turn it back on. A reboot shouldn't be required.

It seems to only happen once per site for me, and then never again. I usually catch it during prestage.

Norstar BCM Technician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back