Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AA and Voicemail problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyfinn111

Technical User
Mar 14, 2007
US
I have an ICS with Norstar voicemail 4.0. When callers call in and the AA answers they can enter an extension and get to whoever they wish to talk with. If that person is not in the voicemail does not answer. They get a message that simply says "exiting the system" and then are disconnected. Any ideas?

is that phone set up for 'forward no answer' to the vm DN?

There is a prompt under 'grtg' called 'return to AA'. Make sure it says yes. Also, you need to find out how messages are getting to individual m/boxes; either forwarding of the set or transfer callback (depending on how the system is set up).

The forward no answer is set to forward to voicemail. I will check on the return to AA in the morning. Should the return be set to "yes"?

It should be set to yes, but it almost sounds like the transfer recall timer or DRT delay is too short. Check those too.

Have a look under Feature 983 and press"4". Make sure Voicemail is set to "Yes" "Y".

Rob

Okay,
Here is what I have found so far. The return to AA is set to yes. The voicemail option is also set to Y. Where are the timers that are referred to, which feature number?
So far this place is great. Problem not solved but a lot of people that know a lot more than I do!!

Transfer callback is set to 12, DRT to prime is set to Y, DRT delay is set to 10. Is there anything else I need to look at? The phone system software went down last week and was replaced. The voicemail works interoffice if you dial an extension internally, just not when an outside line is directed to an extension through the AA. The callers get the message and dial the extension they want. The call goes to the proper extension and if no one anwers they get the message "exiting the system". May be some really basic setting that I just don't know about.

Okay,
Here is the latest thing that I have found. Keep in mind that I know just enough to screw the system up. Our extension DN's are changed from the system defaults. We have extensions in the 400's and the 600's. The defaults start at 221. My extension is 221 which has been changed to 401. All of the phones are forwarded on NA to 485. This works as long as calls are called internally. I changed this on my phone from 485 to 221. 221 is set to none on the forward N/A. Now when outside callers access my extension they eventually get my voicemail, however internal extensions do not get my voice mail. I realize this is not the way I am supposed to do this but it does at least allow outside callers to get to my voice mail until we can figure it out.

How did the extension numbers get changed? I suspect the new telephone system was not programmed with the same DN range as the failed system. I am guessing the mailbox numbers are still the same as the old DN's and that they are assigned to the extension number of the old DN's. For example MB 221 is assigned to extension 221 not 401. This could account for your problem. I suspect it would be better to get all the mailbox numbers and DN's aligned again. Trying to administer a system with such widely different numbers will only lead to conflicts down the road (I know). So you could restart and reprogram the system (my choice) to match the mailbox numbers or delete old mailboxes and create new mailboxes with the new numbering. The extent of the problem is much deeper than the first post would suggest. Reprogramming the VM would require changes to CCR trees if used.

I hope this helps.

Rob

I guess I didn't explain it right. My dn is 401, it was 401 before the software crashed. My voicemail is malbox 401. The default dn's started at 221. We changed the dn from 221 to 401 to match the mailbox and original extension numbers. All extensions were set to forward to 485 which I was told was the dn for voicemail. When I changed the forward no answerto 221, external calls goto voicemail eventually but internal dn's will not..........

Feature 485 does indicate the voicemail dn to be 485. When I set the phone to forward to 485 and no one answers it eventually just says "exiting the system, goodbye".

Okay, I am getting a little further here. It appears that if I delete a mailbox and recreate it, the system works correctly. This gives me a way to get everyone back working properly with the exception of the general delivery mailbox. This mailbox is assigned to the receptionist phone (dn 400). Since this mailbox can not be deleted I don't know how to go about getting it to working properly. Is there a way to "re-initialize" a mailbox without deleting it? Thanks again for everyone's help.

You can reset the voice mail to factory defaults. This will wipe out all programming that is in it.

Problem solved. The problem turned out to be what was originally posted. It was incorrect setting on the transfer recall setting. When I originally checked it I thought it looked okay, however I was looking at it backwards I guess. When I reduced that timer it works perfectly. Everything is back to normal. Thanks for everyone's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back