Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A8N SLI will not boot past Sys Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

prophotodx

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
I built my system almost a year ago and it has been running fine. All of a sudden it randomly reboots from XP, and now it will not boot past the sys config display. CPU temp seems ok, and I can easily go into the bios at reboot. Suggestions???

DBX
(Try it my way, it might work...)

I just turned off the fast boot option which allows the onboard memory check. It seems to run the memory check fine until it gets to about 2.0xx gig, out of 3 gigs total. I am guessing one of the chips is bad, and I am going to test each chip independently.

DBX

doublexpressions
I was going to say, it sounds like a memory problem

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

It is still locking up at the sys config screen after removing and replacing the ram. A stick may have been seated wrong, but it has been fine until all of a sudden.

About every other time the system will reboot during the memory check, no matter which piece of ram is in there. Is it possible all of the ram went bad at once?

Still after trying as I am typing this I cannot get it to boot past the sys config screen. IDEAS???? Thanx!

DBX

Remove your ram chips and gently gently clean the edge connectors with a plastic pencil eraser. Then clean with isopropyl alchohol and replace them. If it still occurs try a new stick of RAM.

I hate to tell you this double but it may not be the memory if you clean it like beel said and its not working inspect the board where the memory goes in its quite common for the board to get a short right by one of them if it was not seated correctly for a while in there or arc and short out part of the board hopefully beel is right though

Remember free things are fun but they can come with an emotional price tags..

I am taking the system to the local shop and I will let you know what happens...

DBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back