Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a7v mboard w/duron processor, not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have an asus a7v motherboard with a 650 mhz duron processor. Originally, when I had set everything up, I was at least getting some video, and the bios beeped an OK beep. Now, for some reason, it doesn't boot up, I don't hear any beep at all, and I don't see any video. The only thing that I changed was that I moved the pci video card
from one pci slot to another, but if I move it back to the original slot which worked previously, I still get no sound or video. I've tried removing everything except for the RAM, processor, and video card, and then I even tried removing the video card, but I still get no beep. I want to try resetting the bios, but I don't know if that's possible at all. Also, if I remove the processor, it beeps two alternating frequencies continuously, but I guess that's normal... this leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the processor, but I have no way of knowing. Does anybody have any suggestions about what else it could possibly be?

ok is this a newly built pc? where you able to boot up succesfully before into windows? what were you doing previous to your computer not booting up? is there any light that come on or does the fan spin?

the first thing i would do is to make sure every thing is seated correctly in it's slot/socket ie. memory, processor , video card...

then check all connection jumpers- make sure hd is master and cd is slave. check cable all cables make sure none are backwards. these are all preliminary things that are neccesary because it is usually the obvious thing that gets overlook that is the root of the problem. check these things first. :-D

It is a new computer, I built it yesterday. All the parts are new. The motherboard's power light goes on (it has a green led in the center to tell you that it goes on) and the cpu and power source fans both go on. Also, the hd makes noise right after you turn it on. Right when I had finished putting it together for the first time-yesterday, it stopped working. I don't know why, but the it does not beep anymore. I've checked all of the cables 3 times over and the jumper settings 4. Besides, I didn't change any of those between the time that it worked and the time that it didn't.

How many watts is your power supply? You can't have anything below 250. Though even at 250 you might still get problems. 300 is what your PC should have.
Hope this helps! I hate when stuff like that happens to me!

With no paint on bootup and no error beeps it appears that you have lost the M/B although losing the power good signal from the power supply would accomplish the same thing. Should at least give error beep if video is out.
The hard drive will normally spin up and do a recal whether or not the processor is running.
And you might try reseating the processor.
Also try reseating the memory.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I dont think its its a power issue all the l;ghts come on and the fan spins. take the mobo out of the case take out the other pci/isa cards ie modem, sound... turn the puter on to see if it you hear any beeps and get video feed if so Its a grounding problem... the board may not be properly grounded in the case...... try using rubber washers to seperate the case metal from the board i find these work the best JANGOLION A+

If none of the above work, try to get your hands on a debug card that fits into the PCI slot (they are relatively inexpensive). The card will display the P.O.S.T. codes as they are checked. The last code displayed will give you some indication of where the problem is, by referring to the BIOS manual that comes with the card.

The better ones also display a LED for each of the four voltages. I have often found that the 3.3v circuit is out, and a unplug and plug of the MB connector frequently sorts it out (sometimes after a very vigorous wiggle). In this instances there is of course no POST progress at all, which sounds like it might just be your problem.

Clive
clive@digitalsky.co.za

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back