Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a7n8x won't boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgrandy

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
US
I have a very strange problem. I just bought a new MB, a7n8x, CPU, 2200+, and RAM, Corsair 2x256MB 2700. When I installed everything the computer wouldn't boot up, the fans, drives and lights came on, but no display. I swapped out the new CPU for my old athlon 1400, same problem. So eventually I put back in my old set up, and I had the same problem, with both CPUs. I have tried a different PSU, 300W, mine is 400W Antec, and still had the same problem. I tried my video card, geforce 4 ti 4400, in another computer and it worked fine. Is it possible that the a7n8x is somehow frying the CPU when I put it in, should I replace both the CPU and the MB. Could I have just used two bad PSU's. I have tried both set ups with no drives or case fans plugged in, just the CPU, RAM, Video and CPU fan/heatsink. I have also tried the computer on another monitor to no avail. This problem has stumped at least two other people so far. Could anyone please help me with this, it would be nice if I could just send back the new parts and and get working replacements, but I want to know how my old parts could have been destroyed.

My original set up: New set up:
Athlon 1400 thunderbird Athlon XP 2200+
256MB crucial 2100 RAM 2x256MB corsair 2700 RAM
Abit KG7 MB Asus A7N8x
Geforce 4 Ti 4400 Geforce 4 Ti 4400
Soundblaster Live!
Etherfast 10/100 Network card
40.0GB Western Digital HD Same
13.0GB Western Digital HD Same
48x/12x/32x Sony CD Burner Same
56x CD-ROM Same
400W Antec PSU Same

I don't think anything got destroyed so far, it just sounds as some MB settings may be wrong, jumpers or so. Now, that is hard to tell from here, so double-check the manual, processor type, speed etc. settings to start with.
Does it make any sound or blink or just nothing at all?
As a test, you may want to remove the small cables to the HD leds etc. some MB need them reversed and if they are wrong, they can block the PC from booting. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

I have tried starting the computer with just about every combination of the led and power switch cables possible, and it is the same everytime. Since the old MB was working fine before I don't think jumpers and such would be the problem, although I did check them. I have also noticed that the HD's will start up, but they won't load anything, they aren't being accessed after the first few seconds, and the computer doesn't shut itself off.

I am having the exact same problem. No video and the computer won't go past POST. If i run the system with a PCI video card or no video card at all it'll at least get past the POST.

I have tested the video card in another machine and it is fine. I'm stumped, the motherboard has been replaced once already.

Did you use the same 2700 RAM that I did, the twinx512-2700, the ones sold together, or the type they are talking about on the other forum.

thanks a lot, the memory seems to have been the problem, but can i just set the bios settings like your link says to do and use the corsair memory, or will i have to do this every time i start the comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back