Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A2000 dataentry; how do I turn off incremental autofill?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycotropic

Technical User
Jul 9, 2001
US
I am entering data into a table. The data normaly looks like 1[tab] 2[tab] 2[tab]
in fact 3 is invalid.
ok - so i type in 1[tab] 2[tab] and Access automaticaly fills in a 3 in the next field.

I have 2 questions;
How do I turn this "feature" off?
Why on EARTH would anybody WANT this feature? I truely can thinh of no reason why this would EVER be usefull!

Thanks a lot everybody

g
"Man is the cheapest computer we can put into a spacecraft and the only one we can mass-produce with unskilled labor." Werner von Braun

Are you sure this is what's happening? I've never heard of anything like it, but try turning off Auto Correct (Tools menu).

Another thought, if you are going to be entering lots of single digits into these fields, you may want to build a form with Input Masks and set the Auto Tab properties to Yes. It will save half your typing!

I know that it sounds completly wacked - BUT - it is true!
I turned off autocorrect and it still happens. I asked several other people in the office working on different databases and they all said that it is anoying but true.
g "Man is the cheapest computer we can put into a spacecraft and the only one we can mass-produce with unskilled labor." Werner von Braun

Weird. Does it only work for 1, 2, 3, or any sequential numbers? What if you have ten fields? Will it fill in the rest of them? etc.

Maybe with specifics we can figure out what's going on, or at least interest someone with more experience in the problem.

well i know this sounds stoopid, but sometimes you gotta grasp for straws....are you sure there is no code attached to the text boxes, i.e.

Box2 AfterUpdate
if me.box1 = 1 and me.box2 = 2 then me.Box3 = 3

or me.box3 = me.box1 + me.box2

??
anything??

i just put three text boxes on a form and go no such behaviour.

g

This is a table.
I am entering data straight into the table cause there aren't THAT many rows yet.

There is no code associated with it.(I don't even know how to connect a set of fields in a table to a macro or a swatch of VB)
There is no form associated with it.
There has never been a form associated with.(so there is no old code to debug)

Stranger still;
if I type in 1[tab] 2[tab] it creates 3.
if I type 1[tab] 21 backspace (to delete the 1)[tab] it does not autofill 3 in the third field.

This is my version number of Access 2k, 9.0.270
is yours the same? There are several strange things that happen occasionaly with this database and I wonder if we are 'beta testin fur bill' and don't know it.........

It does this on any of the several machines that data enter in this database. It does not do it on the other databases in the building - cause they are all Access97.

This problem is driving me crazy here!!!!

g "Man is the cheapest computer we can put into a spacecraft and the only one we can mass-produce with unskilled labor." Werner von Braun

i had v9.0.3 something, just updated with SP2 from MS now at version 9.0.4402. maybe you want to update. don't know if it will help or not. (
other suggestions/questions:

1.is it just in this one table that this happens?
2.is it just in this one ACC2000 db that this happens?
3. try making a Make Table Query and make a new table from the one you have. does the same thing happen?

zip up the thing and send it to me if you want i'll take a look. datachick10@hotmail.com

g

It happens in all of our win2k databases.
We are in research and have several data-entry folks. one front end, one back end and everybody uses them.
We have other limited use databases as well and they act the same way.
In fact, when I started ranting about this irritating activity everybody else indicated that that is the way it has always been!
They just live with it.

Make table query makes a table that behaves the same way.

I can't do the SP2 for a bit cause the IT department has to bring disks to you and do the instalation themselves(I suppose research folks are huge software pirates or something I was not aware of.....).
"Man is the cheapest computer we can put into a spacecraft and the only one we can mass-produce with unskilled labor." Werner von Braun

Why don't you make a simple form in datasheet view, it will look like your table, and see if that puts an end to it. I just converted several mdb's from A97 to A2K and have run into all kinds of little quekry quarks.
-Smack

i just tested mycotropics little table he sent me and yes indeedy, it is wacked. his table is nothing special, in fact it's about the most basic thing you could make.

here's what happens:

data entry into a table with >2 fields (i used 10 fields and same behaviour exists)
field types are NUMBER
DEFAULT is blank for every field
let Access add an Index/Autonum field and i'll tell you what affect IT has :))

Scenario #1)
in field1, enter in a number and hit TAB (doesnt have to be a '1')
in field2, enter in the number in field1 incremented by 1 and hit TAB
keep tabbing thru fields and they will automatically fill in with increments of 1

Scenario #2)
in field1, enter in a number and hit TAB (doesnt have to be a '1')
in field2, enter in the number in field1 incremented by 2 and hit TAB (i.e. 2, 4 or 1,3)
keep tabbing thru fields and they will automatically fill in with increments of 2
I did not find any other auto stuff happening with increment >2

Scenario #3)
seeing what the Autonum field is gonna be, enter into Field1 what would be the Index Field + 1 (or +2)
the Index field will be recognized as the first field in the auto-incrementing behaviour and in this case, Field2 will be the first to autofill in with the next increment

NOTES:
1) having a default value seems to dismantle this behaviour. I suggested that he do that.
2) I added a text field as field11 to test someone else's funky behaviour (... turns into a stick) and lo and behold, altho it was a TEXT field, it too incremented just like the number fields.
3) this behaviour does not happen when entering the data into a form with fields bound to the same table.

THE END.

g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back