Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A word of warning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohjekim

Technical User
Apr 8, 2001
US
Just a word of warning about downloading updates….

Last night I downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 1.
When I got to the point that the computer should restart, and well, it didn’t.

I could not get into anything, no c:\ prompt, no Safe Mode, no nothing.

To make a long and frustrating story short I called Dell told them what had happened and found out how to reinstall Windows when you can’t get into your computer at all.

The service representative told me that this was a common problem and that I should go and get the CD. The problem was that the download didn’t contain all the necessary files to run Windows. I only had to be on the phone for about a half an hour, and then spent the rest of the day reinstalling all of my software.

The funny thing is that while I am working away the phone rings.

It is a friend of mine calling to tell me that he had downloaded the service pack for Windows XP and it had crashed his computer. He had called Microsoft and been on the phone until 2am. Less computer literate then I am he had to be led through the whole reinstallation process. The Microsoft representative told him to go and buy the CD as well.

One last thing, the Dell support was fantastic, I did not have to wait on hold, the representative was helpful even though he was in India, and he called back an hour and a half after I started the Installation to make sure that it all went smoothly. He asked if my video and sound were working and did my modem configure correctly, and he said he will call again tomorrow to see if any problems have cropped up.

I was impressed, this is my first Dell computer but I don’t think it will be my last.
I don’t even want to talk about some of my past experiences.

Any way if you are going to download updates it might be safer to just get the CD.

Mike

I was told before installing the service pack to quit any and all running programs. This includes everything in the system tray. I download the service pack last week and have had no problems. (So far)
Hope this info helps somebody..

Stealer

couldn't you just have booted off of the windows XP cd and gone over the top of your exsisting installation. It would have saved time re-installing programs drivers etc.

I probably could have but didn't want to take a chance on having a mixture of the new second generation and old files, so I removed the old Windows to make sure that the installation was clean.

I had to call Dell because I didn’t know how to boot this computer to the CD when it wouldn’t do it on its own. It was easy just hit F12 but my last computer was different.
I'm just posting this to let people know that you can get into trouble downloading this; it is safer to order the CD.

If it had only happened to me I would have just written it off to bad luck but since it happened to someone else I know on the same weekend I thought it worth mentioning.

Especially since the tech said that they were getting a lot of calls on this.

Anyway my computer is running better now then it has for a long time, and I got rid of a lot of junk had built up over time. I’ll get the CD and upgrade as soon as I get the chance.

Mike

A word to the wise. Always do a backup before intalling service packs. Using ASR with XP makes this very easy. Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back