Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a window gets "stuck" in on top mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

suds321

Programmer
Jun 12, 2000
after using win xp for just a few weeks now. i noticed that occasionally one of my windows might all of a sudden put itself into "on top" mode. on top meaning all other windows are painted beneath the on top one. i searched for some sort of property with no luck. my only solution at this point is to close the window or app and reopen to fix the problem. any one else run into something like this?

What specific programs are you having this issue with?

What version of XP do you have, pro or home?

How did you install? Fresh install or upgrade?

Did you use the 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' for an upgrade?

.oO( FLiP )Oo.

it is home, an upgrade from 98. 2 specific windows off the top of my head are; the explorer and nero burning software. i also seem to recall seeing winamp3 getting stuck on top. no i did not use the transfer wizard. i wanted to spent some time this weekend investigating this further. thanks

mike

I'm not sure if this will help, but it's worth a shot:

Right click on My Computer
Choose Properties
Choose the Advanced Tab
Click the Performance Settings button
Select Adjust for best performance
Click OK and close all windows

See if this resolves your issue. If it does, then it's related to the fancy front end of Windows XP.

I seem to remember having the same problem with WinAmp and with Nero, but I've turned all of that fancy stuff off on the interface and I don't think it's happened since then.

Either way it's worth a shot.

.oO( FLiP )Oo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back