Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A wild shoot in the dark (ODBC connection?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokazoit

Technical User
Sep 16, 2004
DK
I have created and access database and has entered it into an ODBC.

In my database I have a macro that runs as autoexec so whenever it starts it just initiates that macro and afterwards quit the application.

The reason I created an ODBC is a thought of mine I had. I would like my collegues to get access to the database to retrieve info from it. So I was wondering if there was a possibility to create a bat-file or short-cut, that I can distribute to my collegues, when clicked, connects to the ODBC and run the macro?

Looking at my question I think I'm far out, but I ask anyway since it sometimes surprise me what is possible :)

In advance tx for whatever amswer this may give me ;-)

Why dont you just give them a shortcut to your database. This way they double click the database icon, the database opens, the macro fires then closes the db itself?

------------------------
Hit any User to continue

I will do so, and it seems to be ok. But it would have been nice to have some sort of app instead. Maybe something that would allow people who hasn't got Access installed to still use it :)

Reasonable I guess!

I would perhaps create a small VB app to do this work. One macro doen't sound like too much hassle(?!).

Good luck

------------------------
Hit any User to continue

@SiJP: I'm not a programmer and don't know VB so I don't know how to make that small VB :.(

You cannot do what you are suggesting.
Access always runs on the user's local machine. If Access (or a licensed copy of the the Access run-time programs) is not installed on the local machine thay cannot use an Access application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back