Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A way to chage savesets to always be browsable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnL

MIS
Jul 18, 2000
US
After a backup is done, say at the end of the month, I would like to always have those savesets be browsable.  I know if I scan the tape in, it sets them to "scanned in" and that does it, but is there a way to just set them to "scanned in" without actually doing it, or some way to always have them be browsable?

Changing the browse policy for the client will do it (the default is one month).
Note the browse policy must be < the retention policy for the client.

Hope this helps.

yeah, but I only want these specific savesets (from many different clients) to always remain browsable. Changing the browse policy on the clients will only allow more savesets to be browsable for a longer time, but those aren't the ones I want to remain browsable, and still eventually, once that browse time has expired, they will be gone. I know (or atleast I think) if I scan them it, they will always remain browsable (or is that just not recycleable)? I just want to be able to set these savesets (from the end of the month) to always be browsable, so I can always recover them, even past the browse time.

ShawnL:

First, I want to thank you, some of your posts have been quite useful to me, hopefully I can return the favor. Sounds like you want to overide the the saveset retention policy. I only know how to do this in UNIX from a manual backup command. For any of the following commands: savefs/savegrp/save -e will set the date when the specific saveset will expire, the saveset will be browsable and non-recyclable until it expires, then it goes through standard networker lifecycle.

All dependencies normally associated with retention still exist so the save set won't be marked recyclable until all dependent ssid's are marked recyclable. Just be careful and keep the specific tapes secure, you don't want someone to see the month-end tape that is 99% recyclable and decide to manually recycle the tape. The next question is how to flag existing ssid's retention override.....interesting, I'll try to look into it further.

Hope this helps,

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back