Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Very Easy ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoonyD

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2001
US
How do I find the Processor speed in Win 98? What utility can tell me?

If I remember correctly, the Windows 98 CD contains a folder called "OLDMSDOS" that has MSD.EXE in it. MSD is the microsoft diagnostics, which should tell you your processor type and speed.

Give it a try.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I can also look in the bios I believe.

I misunderstood. I thought you wanted a way to see processor speed from within Windows.

You may be able to find your CPU speed in your CMOS setup program. However, in most instances you can see it on the screen when you first cold-boot your PC. If it appears and then disappears too quickly for you to read, you can press the "Pause/Break" key on your keyboard. then after reading the on-screen hardware summary just press ENTER to continue booting.

Good luck.

Chris

Unfortunately, the DirectX diagnostic only indicates the processor type (e.g. Intel Pentium III) but doesn't indicate the speed.

Chris

Not True, I tried it and it showed the processor Speed (dxdiag)

Thanks for the tips fellas! I appreciate it tons!

The only time I can recall where it didn't tell me what processor speed I had was back in the days when I was running something like DX6 on a 233mhz (all it said was I had an MMX). Something like that anyway....

The latest one shows me my speed and model.

Ah yes...since my last post I noticed that on a DX8.1 machine. Thank you for pointing it out though.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back