Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A valid software license must be configured for this version of firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

broody81

Vendor
Jan 18, 2006
US
Hi all

I have a 2 hour old unit, with a virtual essential running 8.1(73) that I took from 7.0 to 8.0(44) then to 8.1(73) after making the initial call or two. All was good. I then figured, since it's a new box, I would take it to 9.0(949).

I now have an error "A valid software license must be configured for this version of firmware"

Is it not possible to go to R9 the way I did 7>8.0>8.1 all in the 2 hour period? FYI it looks like R9 has the virtual, but is not going to work without something else eventhough its a new box.

Is this true? What do I need to do? Is this a 9.0(949) thing or all 9.0's?

Why not take it to 9.0 straight away?
Now you need an upgrade license to get it on 9.0

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

The two hour grace period for upgrading new systems was withdrawn a long time ago. Sine then all subsquent 8.0/8.1/...service packs have locked you into the first release used as being your base from which upgrade licenses are then needed.

So your 8.1 upgrade was one of the post grace period builds and has locked that system as being 8.1 based.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

So if I take another brand new 500V2, put in the customers R7 SD card with translations, what is the order to upgrade in to make it R9 with a virtual essential? I thought you had to pass by R8 or 8.1 on the way to 9? What would you do with a brand new unit and their R7 card to get to R9 without having to buy any licenses that I could avoid?

You're not supposed to "avoid" the licences, that's why they removed the 90 day upgrade window (was never 2 hours). You are supposed to make sure the SD card is on R9 before you fire it up and then add the essential edition licence once it's started up, once started it's locked to R9 :)

Thanks Sizbut, Amriddle,

So if understand both of you, there is no way to get this customer to R9 even if I unbox another new 500V2 off the self without buying an upgrade for R9? In other words, neither of the following would work:

1. Putting their original SD card back to R7, installing it into a new box, powering up and then going straight up to R9, skipping 8.1 this time.

2. Making their card R9 and then inserting and powering it up in a brand new box.

In both cases, I need an upgrade license for R9, however, I could take them from 7 to 8.1 and operate fine with just a virtual essential on 8.1. But no matter what, R9 will cost $$ if desired. Correct?

Thanks

You can get to R9 by using a new box. You just won't get a free virtual essential. Sorry, there is no free lunch here. This really hasn't changed in a couple of years. Path of least resistance is to keep the customer at R7

Thanks Mforrence. I think I was just confused with the hop from 7-8.1 working but not from say 7 to 9. Its the whole change of entitlement thing that spins my head.

Sounds like I can just run the numbers on which way is cheaper.

R7 to R9 with a virtual and then buy R9 or R9 right out and just buy essential, which frankly makes more sense since it's not virtual and goes with the box if it dies. The latter is the smarter choice regardless of a few $$. Make sense?

Thanks All. Time to quit the decaf and go back to the real stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back