Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A terible ping situation; some1 help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniga

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2003
KE
I got a client connecting to us a kilometre away. He is on an E1, suppose to be on a 32k but is given 64k due his complains abt speeds. there are 14 comps on the network for a commercial use.

scenerio:
- ping from the client side has too much lose of data with 64 bit of data. i.e in every like six, two are timed out. speeds terible. average time is 800+ ms.
- ping from the isp side indicate consistency with the same size of data, 30 - 50ms. Tried many remedies on the hub, line, switching machines one after the other. Nothing forthcoming! Any1 out there assist please. Kind regards. bye.

i think 3 to 4 meters away are the standard size for lan

DEK

Hi dek
Thanks for ur initive. it is not LAN situation, it is a Wan situation. they're connecting by a router. May be it is my shallow information.

Can you do a route lookup at all ? that might explain where things are going wrong.

it most likey a table problem check the routes and awaly check the cable (phy) clock setting etc

gunthnp

Are you pinging to their router, or to the host on their network? Have them do a traceroute, and do a traceroute yourself. That should give you per hop speeds, and likely indicate the source of the problem.

I've had similar things happen where a client was actually connected to 2 ISPs at the same time. Packets from their site went the shortest route to the secondary provider, but return packets went all the way to MAE east and then back in through the primary ISP. Round trip delay was consistent from either end, but the traceroutes looked very lopsided.

BTW, it is tracert for all of you windows users.

pansophic

thanx guyz. will get back with the result of the above suggestions. i checked back late. but am not yet in a soln. thnx all!

hi guyz. thank u for ur suggestions. still got the problem.
am able to reach their router ip by an average of 381 from outside thier network. usually, here that is fine. am not pinging a host but the router. incontrast, the results from the client side are outage yet still. too many packet loss. hitting highest on the graph. what could i suspect next? i've got afew things in my lil poor head but i'll like to engage others too. thanks bye.

Did you try the Traceroute, and what were the results.

yes i did. tracert from the client is outage immediately after the local ip on the router but it resolves the ip of any site traced. it doen't even go to the wan ip. But even outside our network tracert works fine. i can get to the router's wan ip from outside.

You need to ping (or preferably traceroute) from your server to their client in order to do any good. Testing a portion of that link when you have no idea where the problem may lie is nearly useless, since the packets must be able to make it all of the way from source to destination, not just some subset of that route.

Based on what you just said, I am assuming that they have access to the internet that is separate from their access to your network?

Also, when doing a traceroute from the client, they would never see their own WAN IP address, only the LAN IP. They should see the WAN IP on your router next. Going from an input on the router, to an output on the router does not count as a hop, it has to transit some form of transmission media.

Also, if they are doing NAT, are they reusing any addresses that you may be using?

Why don't you post a traceroute from your server to their client? You can alter the IPs in some way that doesn't reduce their effectiveness, like add 1 to the first octet of every address. Make sure that you use the -n switch to turn off address resolution.

And are you blocking ICMP Requests on your router? That would give ping and traceroute a difficult time, but still not indicate a problem. If so, try using hping, You can use TCP packets for pinging, and you can select a destination port that will transit most stateful inspection firewalls.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back