Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A strange setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrentEaston

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2003
US
I was curious if someone knows how to possibly do this....

I have a toll-free number that rings into my building on line 1. No other calls (aside from that toll-free call) rings in on that line. On this line, I subscribe to the phone company's "Call-Transfer" feature.

I want to setup 2 phantom extensions in a circular hunt together. So, when a call rings on Line 1, my Merlin system will ring extension 720 (which externally forwards the call to an outside number). Then, the next call that comes in, my Merlin system will ring extension 721 (which externally forwards the call to a different number).

When I setup the phantom extension numbers, I will externally forward the calls by using *33 + EXT + * + external number + #

My goal is that two outside phone numbers can equally "share" the calls that come in on my 800 number.

Is it easy to setup a circular hunt with two phantom extensions and my toll free line (line 1)?

Let's re-cap what you just asked.

You have ONE line, and ONLY ONE LINE that you would like to route to TWO Locations at the same time.

AM I correct in my summation?

Yes. I have one line (Line 1) that is my toll free line. We now would like to "load-balance" that line with two external numbers.

I believe what merlinman was pointing out, is that if you have only one line and a call is on that line, the second caller would get a busy signal. Making the answer to your question- no.

You would need to add a second line that this first line would hunt-to. The you could set up your calling group as you describe.

franke

franke...

Thank you for clarifying that. In that perspective, I have a single 800 line (that line is by itself, and if it is busy... the caller hears a busy signal until that line is free again).

My questions was routing that call from that line internally. I am going to have my Auto Attendant answer that line (Line 1), and tell the caller to hold on while their call is transferred to the correct office. The Auto Attendant's "Dial 0" action will be to transfer the caller to Hunt Group 780 (or something like that). Group 780 will be a circular hunt, and in that hunt extension 720 and 721 (both in the "call forward external mode") will be in that group. When the auto attendant transfers the caller to Group 780... extension 720 will first get the call. The next call that comes in will then be transferred to Group 780.... and extension 721 will now get the call. Then, the third call... back to 720 (and so on).

Hopefully that clarifies it more. My primary "goal" is to setup a calling group with 2 extensions in it (both in external call forwarding)... so, when a call is transfered to that group, the first call will go to point a... the second call... point b... thrid call.. point a.

Is it possible to setup a group that way? I have tried doing that, but not having much luck.

Thanks again.

franke...

Thank you for clarifying that. In that perspective, I have a single 800 line (that line is by itself, and if it is busy... the caller hears a busy signal until that line is free again).

My questions was routing that call from that line internally. I am going to have my Auto Attendant answer that line (Line 1), and tell the caller to hold on while their call is transferred to the correct office. The Auto Attendant's "Dial 0" action will be to transfer the caller to Hunt Group 780 (or something like that). Group 780 will be a circular hunt, and in that hunt group, extension 720 and 721 (both in the "call forward external mode"). When the auto attendant transfers the caller to Group 780... extension 720 will first get the call. The next call that comes in will then be transferred to Group 780.... and extension 721 will now get the call. Then, the third call... back to 720 (and so on).

Hopefully that clarifies it more. My primary "goal" is to setup a calling group with 2 extensions in it (both in external call forwarding)... so, when a call is transfered to that group, the first call will go to point a... the second call... point b... thrid call.. point a.

Is it possible to setup a group that way? I have tried doing that, but not having much luck.

Thanks again.

<Brent> Even though the inbound call to the toll free line (Line 1) has been transfered to an extension, group, or cell phone the physical line back out to the central office is still going to remain in use. Therefore, a second call to your toll-free line will always ring busy unless an additional line is ordered for the first number to hunt to. Hope that makes sense.

a receiver in a calling group can not foward a call

cvrbob....
thanks for the input. So, if two extensions were in forwarding mode, and were part of a calling group... if a call was transferred to that group, the call would just ring at the extention, rather than being forwarded?

What about creating a calling group for my two extensions, and having lines 1, 2, 3 in that group. If line 1 rang, can I have it first hunt to extension a. Then, the next call (maybe on line 2), hunt to extension b... ect? I think that is just a standard setup of a calling group, right?

Thanks for everyone's help. Sorry about the double-post earlier. I apparently submitted it twice.

if no one ans.stations will be loged out after about 30 sec. and ringing will stay in the calling group queue until someone log back in or you set overflow . ?2 set it under hunt type as to what you want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back